Princess Diana

by Danielle from Kent

Less than 30 years ago an epidemic was first discovered. Not that long for a disease that affects 33.4 million people, killing almost every person it infects. This disease is AIDS. When it was first discovered not much was known about it. People feared and shunned all who were affected because of their own false ideas about how it was transmitted. However some people became the change by breaking through these biased ideas and bettered the lives of the people affected by the virus. Princess Diana was who was one of these people became the change by helping AIDS patients and end the end saved lives.

Princess Diana’s help with AIDS brought support and awareness to the disease. She was the first high profile celebrity to be photographed knowingly touching a person infected with the HIV virus. At the time, the general public knew little about AIDS so they made their own conclusions about how it could be transmitted. Some believed it could be spread with a touch of the hand. By taking the picture she proved that falsehood wrong. Her support of AIDS also brought support from her followers. Being a prominent celebrity she influenced many people, a lot of them followed her lead and help out with AIDS charities. On top of this she was also a good person at heart.

Diana used her kind personality and celebrity status to bring happiness to many patients. She would often show up unannounced at hospitals to spend time with terminally ill patients. She was a kind enough person to spend time with those she helped instead of just sending money. Her celebrity status made many patients feel wanted and cared for. The fact that a famous person wants to spend time with you could make anyone happy. Everything that she did promoted peace throughout countries.

Her kindness and charity work won her the Nobel Peace Prize in 1997. One of the things she did to do this was raising awareness and helping fund AIDS research. This act promoted peace within countries by helping out those in need. It united nations against a common enemy. Another thing that she did to deserve this award was her kindness to anyone who was sick or injured. She proved this by all her unannounced visits to hospitals in poorer areas and her happiness at their joy.

Princess Diana became the change by helping the needy and saving lives. She brought support and awareness to AIDS and also show her personality by visiting patient and making their day brighter. All of this charity work and kindness won her the Nobel Peace Prize in 1997. Even though she was a celebrity, anyone can be the change by doing something as little as helping out the community or as big as going to an underprivileged nation.