Walter Elias Disney

by Atyka from Jakarta

Walter Elias Disney
Walter Elias Disney

Everybody has a hero. We can say hero to our idol, a person having a big role in our life, a person that gives us a great life example, and so on. For me, a hero is a person who’s attitude can be a good example for my life. One of my heroes is Walter Elias Disney. He is the maker of Walt Disney. I conclude he is my hero because of several reasons. Before that, I will tell you a story about Walter Elias Disney’s biography.

Walter Elias Disney was born in Chicago, Illinois on 5th December 1901. In 1906, Disney’s family moved to Marceline, Missouri. They lived on a farm. Walt junior liked living there with the animals around, like ducks, mice, and dogs. But his happy life only could be enjoyed for a short time. Several bad harvests in a row made his father have to sell that farm and buy a small newspaper company. Walter and his brother had to work as newspaper deliverers to reduce the expense. After he became an adult, Walter decided to join the military because he thought that by becoming a soldier he could make a better living. When he was a soldier, he usually used his spare time to draw. It was his hobby. At the end, his hobby made him rich and famous in the world.

After World War I, Walter quit the military. In that era, it was really hard to find a job. It was the worst era in Walter Elias Disney’s life. Walter did not have money and he was forced to stay within the back of a small machine shop with a small dirty chair, his last treasure for sleeping and eating. Once a week, he had to go to the city station in the night just to get a free bath. But, in that situation, Walt still had a HOPE that made him get up again.

Walt with Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
Walt with Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck

Finally, Walt realized that his last chance to make an improvement was just by using his drawing talent. Therefore, Walt went to Hollywood with a loan from his older brother. In Hollywood, Walt bought some drawing paper and started to draw. Then, he went to some studios there and showed his drawings. Finally, there was a studio interested in his incredible talent. He was asked to make the story “Alice in Wonderland” in moving cartoons with a down payment of US $1500. He was really surprised at the beginning. He just hoped to get US $50 to stay alive. The film “Alice in Wonderland” had big success in America’s movies in three years. With the money, Walt started to repair his life. He bought a house, made his own studio, and married Lillian Bounds. One day, he remembered his happy life with his friends on the farm. He created Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse, and Pluto. These animals brought him to the top as a star in Hollywood. He dedicated himself to children’s happiness in the world. He died in 1966, but his vision and his dreams for children’s happiness will be remembered by the world forever.

During his life, he made some principles of life, like “We will be happy if we do something that we really like to do.” “Life is a choice, whether we want to have a rich or poor life, it depends on our actions.” “We can change the bad situation to a better situation if we had a hope.” “If we have a dream, we have to make a commitment to reach our dreams, so that our dreams will become a magnet that pulls us to our dreams.” I really like his life principles. I learned that we have to fight in life, never lose hope, and always try to do our best to make our dreams come true.

Walter Elias Disney - Biography from Disney Archives, Disney Online