Amelia Earhart

by Shaun from Raleigh

"It was thing of rusty wire and wood and looked not at all interesting."
Amelia (google.com)
Amelia (google.com)

What makes a hero? To be a hero you must have certain qualities. One of those being courage, like my hero Amelia Earhart. She had the courage to fly over the Atlantic Ocean. No one had ever attempted to fly over the Atlantic because of the mist and fog. You could not see, and also you would get tired.

Amelia Earhart, the daughter of lawyer, was born in Atchison, Kansas, on July 24, 1897 and died July 2, 1937. Earhart became interested in aviation when she saw her first aircraft in the Iowa State Fair in 1907. In 1917 she moved to Toronto and served as a Voluntary Aid Detachment nurse at a military hospital until November of 1918. After the war was over she became a medical student at Columbia University. She wasn't able to finish the course of study, so she went to live with her parents. Just a few days after, she was taken up in a biplane for a 10 minute flight over Los Angeles.

amelia (google.com)
amelia (google.com)

After flying in a biplane she decided that she liked it, and began taking flying lessons from Anita Snook. A few months later she purchased an aircraft she called THE CANARY. On October 1922, with her new aircraft, she set a women's altitude record when she reached 14,000 feet. In 1925 Amelia started to work as a social worker in Boston. She still was interested in aviation, and she joined the National Aeronautic Assosiation and helped women pilots become known. In 1928 she published her book 20 HOURS and 40 MINUTES. She also wrote articles for other magazines.

Amelia Earhart was a hero within and a suvivor hero. Amelia Earhart had the courage top do anything that nobody else could do. Also she had perseverence like no other. Her family and her friends told her that she would not be able to do it because she was a female. But that did not stop her. She became more determined to do it and she was able to accomplish it.

What is a hero? Amelia Earhart that's a hero. Qualities, looks, the whole nine yards. If you ask me I think that she is the best hero alive. This is my hero.