Frederick Douglass

by Genevieve from Atlantic Highlands

Frederick Douglass was born in February 1818. He died when he was 77 years old on February 20, 1895. He had 5 children with his 2 wives. He had many masters as well as many sad memories. After he escaped his life of a slave he became an abolitionist and a conductor on the Underground Railroad. "If there is no struggle, there is no progress." - Frederick Douglass

As a young slave Frederick Douglass witnessed many brutal whippings of various slaves - male of female, young or old. Frederick Douglass had many of these brutal whippings as well as his brother and 4 sisters. Although as he got older he realized that slavery is wrong, that no one should ever be treated like this. He new he had to escape from slavery, to be a free man in the North. He knew it would be difficult but, he had to try. "It is easier to build strong children then to repair a broken men." - Frederick Douglass

After Frederick Douglass escaped from slavery, he became a free man in the North. When he got to the North he became an African-American social reformer, an orator, a writer, a statesman, and a leader for the abolitionist movement. He got married twice and 5 children. After he escaped, he was finally happy. "I didn't know I was a slave until I found out I couldn't do the things I wanted." - Frederick Douglass

Frederick Douglass is not like any other man. He took a stand for what he believed in. I hope went I get older that I will take a stand just like him. He will never be forgotten. "The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppose." - Frederick Douglass

Fredrick Douglass's Heritage - The History of Frederick Douglass