Frida Kahlo

by Pamela from Xalapa

Magdalena Carmen Frida Kahlo Calderon, (Coyoacan, 1907-1954) was a Mexican painter. She married muralist Diego Rivera and lived a life of misfortune. She had an early accident that would make a significant impact on her life. The painter's illness -consequence of the train accident- long-suffering 38 operations. Never to fully recover. Frida and Diego in a love strongly and popular in their native Mexico.

In 1938 Andre Breton invited her to exhibit her paintings in New York. Trying to convince her that they were "surreal" but she decided that these trends did not correspond with her art because she said she did not paint her own dreams nor reality. Until then he had painted herself only privately and cost admit that her work could be of general interest. Although she enjoyed the admiration of prominent artists and intellectuals of his time such as Pablo Picasso, Wassily Kandinsky, Andre Breton and Marcel Duchamp, his work reached true fame and international recognition after his death in 1970.

She my hero for her endless love story. But mainly for her determination and talent. What-you-see-is-what-you-get kind of attitude makes her in my eyes a role model.