Anne Frank vs. Margaret Cho

by Catherine from San Mateo

People usually overcome life altering events through language. Both Anne Frank and Margaret Cho wrote about their troubles and eventually shared them, although not purposely. Anne wrote about her problems in an effort of escapism. Margaret Cho used comedy to tell her story. Through it all they both tried to stay positive.

Anne Frank (glogster.com)
Anne Frank (glogster.com)

Anne would write in her diary, which she affectionately nicknamed Kitty, and when given the chance she would stare out the one window of the Secret Annex. “At last, at last I can sit quietly at my table in front of a crack of window and write you everything.” Pg 240 of The Diary of a Young Girl. Anne was living in WW2 at the time that she was writing in her journal. Without knowing it she wrote a bestseller that influenced the world.

Margaret Cho (thearchnemesis.com)
Margaret Cho (thearchnemesis.com)

“I grew up and went to grammar school on Haight Street during the ’70s. There were old hippies, ex-druggies, burnouts from the ’60s, drag queens, and Chinese people. To say it was a melting pot – that’s the least of it. It was a really confusing, enlightening, wonderful time.” Her family came to America to give her a better life than the one she would of had. she was bullied as a kid and has used that to speak about the media’s image of what beauty is. She wrote stand up comedy and still; does and has made movies. She is now famous and there is a Margaret Cho Day, April 30th, in San Fransisco.

Both Anne and Margaret used words to deal with their life altering events. They also tried extremely hard to stay positive at most all times. Escapism was something that both did commonly to deal with the pressures of everyday life. Writing kept them going through the hardest times of their lives. It just goes to show how powerful words are.

People often use words to overcome life altering events. Lots of people use writing, like Anne Frank and Margaret Cho. Although Anne wrote a diary and Margaret wrote comedy they both inspire others even today. Even when times change people cope with life altering events in the same ways.