Harry Houdini

by Evan from Calgary

What the eyes see and the ears hear, the mind believes.
web (I made it (Evan))
web (I made it (Evan))

I chose this book because I think that magic is awesome and Houdini was basically the king of magic. The book I chose is a biography book because an author named Vicki Cobb, not Harry Houdini, wrote it. My book is 123 pages long with fourteen chapters. This book covers Houdini's life since 1874 all the way till 1926. This book was published in 2005 five by DK publishing. Inc. Did you know that Vicki Cobb has written over 85 other nonfiction books for kids? She has also written more biography books just like Houdini.

I made it (Evan)
I made it (Evan)

Houdini (Ehrich Weiss, his birth name) was born in Budapest, Hungary. Houdini mostly grew up in America. He had six other siblings, Herman, the eldest. He didn't really go to school he just was kind of home schooled. He liked the circus as he was growing up. When Harry was a kid, he had a job as a paperboy. One thanksgiving he put his hat on the sidewalk and made a sign saying, "MONEY FOR A TURKEY." When he had enough, he hid the money all over his body and told his mother to shake him because he was magic. All the money fell out and his mother fell into tears. He decided to become a magician after finding a book on Robert Houdin and that's also where the name Houdini came from. When Houdini found the book that's when he knew he wanted to become a magician. The "MONEY FOR A TURKEY" story helped Houdini find out he wanted to be a magician.

Action (I made it (Evan))
Action (I made it (Evan))

One of Houdini's biggest challenges was to provide for his family. After getting well known as a magician he started being well paid for every performance he did, it really helped with his family's money issues. I think that either Mr. Houdini's book or Houdini's parents that influenced him to keep on going with his career in magic. He was persistent because he never gave up and kept on going. Houdini was confident because there was nothing he didn't want to try. He was also focused because he would always be in line and practice all the tricks over and over again. As Harry got older his body couldn't do all the same stuff but it never stopped him. After his dad died it took a little time for Harry to get back on track. After making many escapes and tricks, Houdini had many tittle names like, "The King of Cuffs," etc. which helped with marketing himself.

It really surprised me how Houdini died because a student repeatedly punched him in the gut, which killed Harry ten days later. Three questions that I would ask Houdini if he was still alive would be, "What goes through your mind when you're doing the escapes?" "How hard was it to practice all the escapes and master them all?" And "What was the hardest trick you ever performed?" I would want to but I wouldn't want to be Houdini because I think it would be fun but scary to do. I think that the book that I read is very good because it had very good information but I think that it could have been a bit longer. A lesson that you can learn from this book is that when you believe, you can do. In my opinion, I think people that are interested in Houdini will really like this book. I'm happy that I chose this book because it taught me a lot of information that I didn't know before. I look up to this person because if you were really into magic like me, you'd call him the King of magic.

If you want to read the book i read, it is called "Harry Houdini a photographic story of a life."