Jane Austen: A Hero to Women

by Paige from Ramona

A girl, who finds a library filled with over 500 mind opening stories, writes many of her own short stories and plays at the age of twelve. She is popular after her death. Jane Austen is well educated more than the other young women in the era. Born on December 16, 1775, Jane lives a sheltered life giving her an intimate knowledge of the English society. Living in the 1700s, it is not expected for a woman to have a profession as an author. Women will hopefully find and marry a wealthy man, but Austen wants to write. As a broad-minded woman in the 1700s, Jane Austen's determination to write, her passion for literature, and strength for writing while ill make her a hero in the hearts of women around the world.

Jane Austen (mhpbooks.com ())
Jane Austen (mhpbooks.com ())

Jane Austen is strong minded and has plenty of determination to write her novels. When no one will publish her stories, Jane keeps writing new ones. Austen writes many novels, eager for people to become intrigued with her work: "Her father sent a letter offering the manuscript of "First Impressions" to a publisher soon after it was finished in 1797, but his offer was rejected by return post" ("The Jane Austen Society of North America"). After an uphill struggle to compose a masterpiece, Jane is rejected. This little step back does not crumble her desire for finding a new publisher. Although having misfortune before, Austen meets with a new publisher six years later: "Austen continued writing, revising "Elinor and Marianne" and completing a novel called "Susan" (later to become Northanger Abbey). In 1803 Austen sold "Susan" for £10 to a publisher, who promised early publication, but the manuscript languished in his archives until it was repurchased a year before Austen's death for the price the publisher had paid her" ("The Jane Austen Society of North America"). Unfortunately, Jane's novel is not published as early as she hopes because it is sold to another publisher who has not agreed to her terms. Appalling as it sounds, her books are swept away in a collection of documents, depriving Austen's dream. Even though her books are rejected and hidden behind the curtains, through determination, Jane believes that one day her stories will be in the hands of millions so she keeps writing.

Austen finds what she loves and she never lets any obstacle in her way Austen is passionate about her work even if she is not known for it: "Jane Austen, one of England's foremost novelists, was never publicly acknowledged as a writer during her lifetime. She was born on December 16, 1775, at Steventon Rectory in Hampshire, the seventh child of a country clergyman and his wife, George and Cassandra Austen. She was primarily educated at home, benefiting from her father's extensive library and the schoolroom atmosphere created by Mr. Austen's live-in pupils. Her closest friend was her only sister, Cassandra, almost three years her senior" ("The Jane Austen Society of North America"). Jane begins writing at age twelve. She is captivated by this fine art. It is not considered a proper career choice for a young lady with a background similar to Jane Austen's: "Educated only briefly outside of her home, Austen read freely in her father's library of 500 books, which left her better educated than most young girls of the time. While her family never anticipated she would be a published writer (not considered an appropriate profession for a young lady of her background), within the walls of their household she was encouraged to write" ("Jane Austen Biography"). Jane's family allows her to write, giving her a fascination of literature. Though there are others who find little interest in her choices, Jane decides not to let these people stand in her way. Austen finds her passion at a very young age. Jane starts to write her own novels because she has such an immense interest in this path.

Jane stays strong. While sick with nothing strong enough to help cure her body, Jane keeps writing. Jane is extremely ill at a young age, but she writes her novels trying to convince everyone around her that she can make it through her illness: "Jane noticed a decline in her health.Though progressively unwell, Jane maintained an upbeat attitude and played off her illness to family and friends, all the while rewriting the final two chapters of The Elliots to her liking" ("Jane Austen Biography"). She does not display her sickness to her family and friends. Instead she keeps writing her novels so that one day they will be published. Sadly her novels are not published until after her death: "As a child Austen began writing comic stories, now referred to as the Juvenilia. Her first mature work, composed when she was about 19, was a novella, Lady Susan, written in epistolary form (as a series of letters). This early fiction was preserved by her family but was not published until long after her death" ("The Jane Austen Society of North America"). Even though it is not until after her death that her novels are published, Jane writes while sick in her bed. She knows that one day her stories will come to life if she makes it through her sickness or not. Jane Austen became ill at a very young age in a woman's life. She never lets her illness get in the way of her family and friends and especially her novels.

Jane Austen, a liberal, young woman who doesn't let sexism stand in her way, is determined, passionate, and strong which proves her a hero to many women in the world. Austen is fascinated by reading and writing novels. Jane Austen is a determined woman. She writes novels while ill and hides the fact that she can be dying from her family and friends. She stays strong. Austen writes novels even when publishers are not fond of her stories created upon romance and society. Jane Austen is passionate. This is what makes her a hero. Jane Austen inspires women to stand tall and continue what they love because it can turn into something great. She sticks with what others do not find appropriate for women to do with their lives. But in the end she is a success and her many work of art land in the hands of countless people.

Work Consulted

Alex, Dan. "Jane Austen Biography." Jane Austen Biography. N.p., 1 Feb. 2012. Web. 10 Dec. 2012. .

"Jane Austen Biography." PBS. PBS, n.d. Web. 10 Dec. 2012. .

"Jane Austen." U*X*L Biographies. Detroit: U*X*L, 2003. Gale Student Resources In Context. Web. 9 Dec. 2012.

Kelly, Gary. "Jane Austen." DISCovering Authors. Detroit: Gale, 2003. Gale Student Resources In Context. Web. 9 Dec. 2012.

"The Jane Austen Society of North America." - About Jane Austen. The Jane Austen Society of North America, Inc., n.d. Web. 11 Dec. 2012. .

Jane Austen - A renowned author who is loyal.
Jane Austen Overview - Great author who wrote about love and relationships and friendship and love.
Miss Austen's Life - A very modest woman who understands hopes and fears of women.