Koko

by Justin from Ignacio

I really do believe Koko is an animal hero. She shows people that animals aren't as different from humans as you think. I know if you read this you will want to help Koko save her species whose habitat is being destroyed. They need our help!!! If Koko is this smart, that means other gorillas are too. Some of them might even realize what is happening to their environment!!! Please help save Koko!! You can be a hero too!!

"Koko can communicate with more than 1,000 signs based on American Sign Language, and understand approximately 2,000 words of spoken English. For example, she asserts that nobody taught Koko the word for "ring", therefore to refer to it she combined the words "finger" and "bracelet", hence "finger bracelet". Although not unique, Koko is one of the few non-humans known to keep pets of a different species. She has cared for several cats over the years and Koko's relationship with All Ball was featured in the 1987 book Koko's Kitten."