Sojourner Truth: Ain''t I a Woman?

By Patricia C. McKissack, With Fredrick L. McKissack

Publisher: Scholastic, Inc., January 1994
ISBN: 0590446916
MY HERO recommends this book to young adult readers.
Synopsis
In 1797, a slave named Isabella was born in New York. After being freed in 1827, she chose the name by which she has been remembered long after her death - Sojourner Truth.

Truth was a preacher, an abolitionist, an activist for the rights of both blacks and women. Although she couldn't read, she could quote the Bible word for word, and was a powerful speaker. An imposing six feet tall, with a profound faith in God's love and a deep rich voice, she stirred audiences around the country until her death in 1883.

User Reviews:
Annie Zwisler | 4/18/2010 6:18 AM
I found this book in my teachers bookshelf,then I saw a play about her in the Hower House in Akron. She is my role model and OMG, she is TALL!
agd+rjp | 3/27/2009 2:47 AM
this is a good resource
jennifer | 2/17/2009 5:40 AM
that was cool I like that but was'nt that one of her speeches do you have the speech Heaven & hell?

Sojourner Truth gave an address to the Michigan State Legislature in June 1881 entitled, "On Heaven and Hell," according to the Sojourner Truth Institute website.  Visit the website for an excerpt of the address.

-- The MY HERO Library Staff

jacob | 3/18/2008 3:34 AM
i thought that it was amazing all that she did and i cant wait to hear more on the subject and i am really happy that i took out the time to read this and i suggest that anyone that has free time that they should read this book
jacob | 3/18/2008 3:32 AM
i suggest that if anyone is looking for info on her that this is a very good book and they should take the time and read it
Gia | 2/25/2008 6:00 AM
SoJourner Truth is amazing cool
Allyssa | 2/8/2008 1:02 AM
This was very good for my project.
vanessa | 1/25/2008 5:20 AM
this was a great book and it really did help me on my project of sojourner truth. This is a great book and i think everyone should read it.
Emmie | 11/6/2007 8:46 AM
this book was really helpful in my report!!
vanessa nikshn | 2/15/2007 11:08 PM
hi its a good book.
| 4/11/2006 9:08 AM
I believe that this book is good for children my age I love this book it doesn't show any picture which I enjoy because I get to picture what had happen before I was born. "I LOVE THIS BOOK."  
Amber Longhi | 12/4/2005 6:08 AM
i loved this book. Sojourner was a wonderful person.
paige nieves | 2/27/2005 2:08 PM
this book really showed me many things about her because I really never heard about her but when I had a report it helped also. The book is very interesting to read and it keeps me reading and learning!
Jerice Tilis | 8/20/2004 1:14 AM
I really did enjoy reading this book.

Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews