Angels

Brian McHugh

by Leah from Old Orchard Beach

"He's been in the hospital more than anyone on the team, yet he still plays just to stay away from getting too angry. Don't know about you, but that is a real team player, in and out of sports." J. L.

My hero is my "big brother" and best friend, Brian McHugh. We've known each other since we were really little and he's always been there for me. He's also gone through life with a lot of hardships.

When Brian was five, his parents divorced. When he was seven, his parents got back together and remarried. Through this Brian was extremely distraught but he never seemed to give in. He always remained calm and he never let anything bring him down. He even somehow managed to remain on the top of his grades. As he says his ways of getting through these troubles is taking his frustration out in sports. He joined Lacrosse and Track. Even though sports seemed to help, he found himself injured physically by them. In the years 2002-2004, he visited the hospital countless times for broken bones, concussions, dislocated joints, and torn ligaments. On September 12th, 2005, Brian was taken to the hospital for forced trauma to the head in a Lacrosse game. Reported by James Ledue, a teamate on Brian's same team, "There was a dogpile on Brian because he had the ball, but during that time I guess he got hit in the head by one of the other players from the other team." When Brian was rushed to the hospital, he was reported to be in a coma. He was in a coma for approximately a month and then released on the 15th of October. Even though Lacrosse sent him into a coma, Brian still chooses to play the sport. "It keeps me calm during school. If I weren't in Lacrosse, then I'd be flipping out everyday," says Brian before his lacrosse game on the 20th, five days after being released from the hospital.

Today he lives in South Portland, Maine. He attends middle school as an 8th grader. He lives with his younger brother, Michael, his mom, May and his father, Andrew.

Brian Andrew McHugh was born in Portland, Maine. He is suprisingly still alive today and he's most likely going to live for a lot longer if he has any say in it.

Brian is my hero because of all he's been through. He's always been there for me and he's my "big brother" and best friend. I wish him only luck and and a lot of good fortune.