Sojourner Truth

by Jane from San Diego

"There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right" (King). In his "A Proper Sense of Priorities" speech, Martin Luther King, Jr. perfectly captures Sojourner Truth's ideals and mindset. Even with the prevalence of forced labor in her country, she challenged the government and sought to free the nation from the manacles of slavery. Born in 1797 as Isabella Baumfree, Truth grew up as a slave in New York and suffered merciless torment under her brutal slave owners. At the age of forty, she was finally freed from bondage, but her experiences remained permanently etched into her memories. When her son was illegally sold to another slaveholder in a different state, her life changed dramatically. After winning the lawsuit to regain custody of her son in 1828-as well as becoming the first black woman to successfully win a court case-Truth realized that she had the power to stand up for her own opinions. She changed her name to Sojourner Truth, "the traveler who tells the truth," and decided to journey to different states and preach against enslavement. Truth soon witnessed discrimination against women, and realized that slaves were not the only helpless victims who needed someone to help them defend their rights. What began as a quest to abolish slavery quickly evolved into a passionate crusade driven by Truth's belief that everyone should receive equal treatment. Truth fearlessly overcame a myriad of obstacles and relentlessly worked to improve other people's lives. A zealous advocate for equal rights, Sojourner Truth not only pursued her goals with steadfast persistence and undaunted courage but also treated everyone around her with endless compassion.

Truth's tenacity allowed her to conquer all of the barriers that once hampered her success. When her slaveholder promised Truth that he would free her after one year of labor, she readily agreed. During the spring, however, she accidentally injured herself with a scythe. Her wound "didn't heal properly because she continued to use [her arm]. Although it hurt and bled frequently, she never missed a day's work. The idea of freedom kept her going..." (McKissack 35). Nothing could prevent Truth from diligently fighting to achieve her ambitions. Instead of giving up, she remained focused on her goals and worked through agonizing pain in order to uphold her end of the agreement. Truth was able to surpass all of the hardships that threatened her freedom, repeatedly demonstrating her persistence throughout her life. As soon as she discovered that her son was sold to another slave owner in 1827, she "immediately started on foot and alone, to find the man who had thus dared, in the face of all law, human and divine, to sell her child out of the State; and if possible, to bring him to account for the deed..." (McLeod). Without the slightest hesitation, Truth immediately prepared to do everything in her power to find her son. Since she did not have money for transportation, she walked hundreds of miles, willingly embarking on an arduous journey to rescue him. Truth sued the slaveholder who had purchased her son, despite knowing that it was almost impossible for a colored woman to successfully win a lawsuit against a white man. Her resolute spirit eventually led her to victory and she was reunited with her son. In a situation where many people might have simply given up, Sojourner Truth persevered. Although Truth encountered many obstacles throughout her life, her sheer persistence enabled her to overcome them and reach her goals.

In the face of danger, Truth courageously continued to fight the battle for equality. While giving anti-slavery speeches, she was often physically threatened: "[Truth was] interrupted by a rowdy group of young men, carrying clubs and sticks. She ran and hid in a tent behind a trunk. But she quickly regained her confidence, went out, and boldly faced the mob" (McKissack 84).  Although Truth knew she was putting herself in danger by speaking out about controversial topics, she did not let anything prevent her from voicing her opinions. Truth was undoubtedly intimidated by her violent opponents, but she fearlessly confronted them, even when they brandished weapons and threatened her. However, not everyone had the same unflinching courage that Truth possessed. Most women rarely spoke their mind for fear of being publicly criticized. When "none of the white women at the conference rose to defend their cause, Truth boldly stood up and delivered a spirited scolding to the ministers that ended with thunderous applause from her female audience" (Hillstrom). At a time when colored people had fewer rights than white women, Sojourner Truth courageously spoke out about her beliefs when the other women did not. She never feared public opposition and would not allow her adversaries to negatively affect her. Even when most people disagreed with Truth, she continued to advocate for her cause. Her courage pushed her to continue undeterred on her path to success. Regardless of the threats and harsh criticism directed towards her, Truth always followed her conscience and stood up for what she believed was right. 

Sojourner Truth embraced her naturally compassionate character and devoted many years of her own life towards improving other people's living conditions. When Truth saw the bitter suffering of soldiers during the Civil War, she "...visited Cap Ward in Detroit, to help lift the soldiers' spirits...she'd gone among her neighbors gathering donations of food and clothing so that the soldiers could have a good holiday..." (McKissack 139). Truth could not bear to sit on the sidelines and watch the soldiers endure harsh conditions, so she decided to actively support the troops and alleviate their suffering. In order to assist the soldiers and bring them amenities, Truth risked her life in the line of fire during her dangerous trips to the battlegrounds. She completely disregarded her own safety in her effort to provide others with a sense of security. Instead of searching for an easier way to aid the soldiers, Truth picked the method that would impact the soldiers the most, even though it required more effort from her. In the later years of her life, Truth could no longer physically support the people around her. However, she still managed to find a way to help others: "[Truth] submitted a plan to Congress in which government land in the West would be given to former slaves. Congress failed to act on her proposal, but Truth's support for black migration to the West convinced thousands of former slaves to establish homesteads in Kansas..." (Hillstrom). A former slave herself, Truth sympathized with freed slaves and understood the grueling hardships that they endured. She eagerly helped emancipated slaves in every way she possibly could, and attempted to convince the government to allocate land for them. Despite her initial failure with Congress, her kind-hearted endeavors empowered slaves to actively seek better lives. Truth's genuine empathy and consideration for others led her to selflessly dedicate her life to benefit the people around her.

Like any ordinary human being, Sojourner Truth set many goals for herself throughout her life. What made her unique, however, was the fierce determination that enabled her to accomplish many great and admirable feats. Truth's actions revealed her fearless and indomitable spirit as well as her benevolent personality that spurred her to go out of her way to help other people. In her address to the first annual American Equal Rights Association, she passionately declared: "I have been forty years a slave and forty years free, and would be here forty years more to have equal rights for all. I suppose I am kept here because something remains for me to do.I am yet to help to break the chain [of slavery]" (Truth). She not only dedicated her life towards helping other people and improving her country, but also tackled her goals with persistence. Truth is a true role model and has influenced multiple aspects of my life. Her success taught me that if I work tirelessly towards my ambitions, I will certainly be able to achieve them. When I face difficulties, I remember that Truth prevailed in spite of seemingly hopeless circumstances. Sojourner Truth also demonstrated how to act in the harrowing situations that Martin Luther King, Jr. mentioned. As King stated, each person eventually has to make a crucial decision and ask himself: Should I stand up for my beliefs and risk opposition? Or should I remain a silent supporter to avoid criticism? Truth always adhered to her own ideas, and did not change herself to fit other people's expectations. Her courage inspired me to remain true to my values. Through her experiences, she showed me that I can never go wrong if I follow my conscience and have faith in my actions.  After all, it is inevitable that we, as humans, will trip and fall on the journey to success, but we will eventually reach our goals as long as we remain ambitious and adamant. Truth once said, "I am not going to die, I'm going home like a shooting star." Sojourner Truth demonstrates that a strong and firm mentality can take one beyond the moon and into the depths of the sparkling stars.

King, Martin Luther, Jr. "A Proper Sense of Priorities." Speeches and Sounds - Martin Luther King, Jr. African American Involvement in the Vietnam War, n.d. Web. 10 Apr. 2013. <http://www.aavw.org/special_features/speeches_speech_king04.html>.

McKissack, Patricia C., and Fredrick McKissack. Sojourner Truth: Ain't I a Woman? New York: Scholastic, 1992. Print.

McLeod, Jennifer. "Sojourner Truth." Great Lives from History: The Nineteenth Century. N.p.: n.p., n.d. 1-3. Print.

"Sojourner Truth." American Civil War Reference Library. Kevin Hillstrom and Laurie Collier Hillstrom. Ed. Lawrence W. Baker. Vol. 2: Biographies. Detroit: UXL, 2000. 467-471. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 30 Mar. 2013.

Truth, Sojourner. "Address to the First Annual Meeting of the American Equal Rights Association." Sojourner Truth. University of Los Angeles, n.d. Web. 30 Mar. 2013. <http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/history/dubois/classes/995/98F/doc26.html>.

This Far By Faith: Sojourner Truth - PBS analysis of Sojourner Truth's experiences
The Narrative of Sojourner Truth - A digitally published version of Sojourner Truth's dictated autobiography
Sojourner Truth: "Ain't I a Woman?", December 1851 - Sojourner Truth's most famous speech
Sojourner Truth - The Women in History organization recognizes Sojourner Truth