Vastoria Zow

by Veronique from Savannah

Vastoria Zow
Vastoria Zow

My modern day hero is my late great grandmother Vastoria Zow. She died a widow in 2007 at the age of 90 years old. She was born in Arkansas by African American Cherokee Indians who were her parents. Later on she moved to Deland, Florida. Mrs. Zow had six children, 18 grand children, and over 30 great -grandchildren. She was widely honored and respected by her community and church. She was known as a servant to those in need and less fortunate in her community.

Mrs. Zow’s major traits were bravery, strength, intelligence, wisdom, and godliness. I personally witnessed those traits and was always inspired whenever I was in her presence. She would always let me know how much she loved me. And she would share her words of wisdom. I think about the many changes she faced between 1916- 1964, segregation, Jim Crow laws, Civil Rights Movement. She survived it all and that’s why she is my hero. I admire her bravery and courage in raising her family to honor and respect God in their activities.

Mrs. Zow was brave when she refused to accept unfair treatment by one of her employers unlike the type of bravery shown by ancient Greek heroes. She was emotionally and mentally strong when she faced the 1930’s Great Depression, unlike the supernatural strength of the Greek heroes. Mrs. Zow was wise and intelligent when she managed her time and money along with her husband to build a stable family and home formed by very humble beginnings. Her pursuit and belief in God was in contrast to the Greeks who believed in many gods. That’s why I know Vastoria Zow will always be my hero.