Yo-Yo Ma

by Neena from Manhattan Beach

There are many heroes in the world who help make the world a better place. A superhero, a firefighter, or a politician are all examples of heroes. However, artists, actors, and musicians are heroes too. To obtain the qualities of heroism is an act of a lifetime, and a hero shows certain qualities while accomplishing their goals and dreams. Yo-Yo Ma is an amazing cellist who has performed all over the world, has won many awards, helped with world peace, and demonstrates heroism while he does all of these things. He shows his heroism through his passion, hard work, and friendliness.

A remarkable quality that Ma demonstrates in his work is his passion for what he does. Ma had his heart set on the cello ever since he went to a museum with his father when he was just three years old and saw one for the first time. Although he was too small to play a cello, his father stuck an endpin on the bottom of a viola, and Ma played it as a cello, showing his devotion and passion toward wanting to play this instrument so desperately. He loved it so much, and his feelings toward it haven't changed since. Most children would get bored of this, but Ma did not and has stuck with it through thick and thin. Even when it got difficult he kept playing and did not give up his passion. In addition, he was eager to learn and learned so much music in two years that his cello teacher, Janos Schloz, described him as "everything one could wish for in a student." His passion for the cello is very admirable and has helped him accomplish everything he has.

Ma continues to prove that he has an outstanding work ethic every single day. From the early age of four years old, he has spent a countless amount of time practicing his cello to get the music he learns in its best shape. His father taught Ma the cello and his sister, Yeou-Cheng, the violin for the first few years of their musical paths. He was very strict about practicing and his lessons were very rigorous and difficult. Yo-Yo and Yeou-Cheng would wake up at early hours in the day, such as 4 or 5 a.m., to practice. All this practice and hard work has paid off when he memorized pieces and is able to play them perfectly. When he was only 5, he memorized three of Johann Sebastian Bach's solo suites for cello, music that is laborious for any cellist. Ma also worked hard in school, and at age 16, he enrolled at Harvard University and took many different classes. He also went to Columbia University and Julliard. All these schools are extremely tough to get into and the courses are very demanding, which shows that Ma worked very hard to get into them and continued to work hard after he got in. He has done an excellent job of proving he works very hard for what he wants.

Ma's friendly and caring personality is such a great aspect of him and contributes to his heroism. Ma believes that everyone in the world should be able to get along, no matter the color of their skin or where they come from. Because of this, he founded the non-profit Silk Road Ensemble. This ensemble consists of him and several other musicians who travel along the Silk Road trade route and perform music from different cultures to keep it alive. This is known as one of his greatest achievements. Eight years later, Ma was named a UN Messenger of Peace, which proves that he has helped the world become a better place. Although he has won over fifteen Grammys and other awards, he still remains humble and lets others in his ensembles shine, instead of making his whole performance about him. In spite of his fame, Ma continues to be friendly and caring.

There is no question that Yo-Yo Ma demonstrates countless acts of heroism in his daily life. He has been extremely successful in everything he has done and has gained a great amount of importance. However, he has never cared about the fame or fortune of it all. He started out as a young boy with a great love for music. With a love for music and his other characteristics, he has made himself a legacy just by doing whatever his heart desires. His work inspires many and he has influenced thousands of people's lives in various ways. He has helped change the world for the better and continues to do so every day.