Yein Preciado

by Gisele from Ontario

"Always help others and care for everyone. It's bad if you always care for yourself instead of others."

Image yourself in Mexico and going to USA alone with your brothers and sisters, doing everything to make sure they are okay. Well, that was my mom when she was 6 years old. She needed to survive with her brothers and sisters while she did everything for them because her parents died when they were traveling to the USA. Today she is happy and a mom who always makes me smile.

In the beginning, mom was the first person born in her family. While growing up she did everything, like washing the dishes, sweeping and more. She basically did all this stuff for her parents, brothers, sisters, and when some guests are invited in the house. My mom felt like she was treated like a slave. Her little brothers teased her a lot while her sisters played outside. My mom just wanted peace in her house just like me. Her wish was to go the USA and have a new life.

My mom makes me believe in myself. She taught me to never give up. She believed that she could go to the US with her family. Then it came true. Her parents decided to go to the US and live because one of her younger sisters went there to learn at school. But it was a long journey because they didn't own a vehicle and on the way to California her parents died. My mom didn't tell me how they died because she was too sad to talk about that. My mom never gave up in the journey. There were really a lot of bad evil people. But that didn't stop her. With her cleverness and thinking skills and with a little help of her uncle and aunt they managed to keep her brothers and sisters safe. She basically took good care and did everything to protect them.

My mom inspires me to help others and to care for them. Even though my sister and I fight a lot, we still care for each other. I like to teach the homeless people how to cook and give them money. My dad, sister, mom and I like to build small houses for the people in the street that don't have any homes. She inspires me to be creative and a kind person.

My mom also says, "Always help others and care for everyone. It's bad if you always care for yourself instead of others." It's a quote that always makes my family smile.