Alvin York

by Joseph from Cedar Grove

A hero can be anyone who has accomplished a good deed. But, a hero must be extraordinary. A hero can be personal or famous. Your neighbor can be a hero, a family member, or even a friend. For anyone to be a hero, they need to inspire others. Heroes should be confident and determined in order to accomplish goals. Some heroes risk their lives for other people, but that doesn’t mean all heroes do or have to. Alvin “Sergeant” York of the United States is a hero.

Alvin Cullum York, known as Sergeant York, was born on December 13, 1887, in Pall Mall, Tennessee. He died on September 2, 1964. His family was poor, so he had to kill animals for food; therefore, he was great with guns. The state came to put him in the army. He refused. Alvin thought fighting was wrong. So the state said, “If you refuse then we’ll have to put you in jail.” So he went into the army.

A small group of men, including Seargent York, defeated 36 Germans and captured 132 in France during WW1. Seargent York was an expert sharpshooter. After the war was over, Sergeant York was decorated with many medals for heroism. These medals included the Congressional Medal of Honor, the Disguised Service Cross, French Croix di Guerra, French Legion of Honor, Croce di Guerra of Italy, and the War Medal of Montenegro. He was a very brave soldier.

Sergeant York was very brave. He was brave because he fought in the army; he didn’t run away even though he didn’t believe in war. He was helpful because without Seargent York the war could have been longer. He was a very important part of the army. He was a risk-taker, too. He risked his life to join the army, even though he was forced to.

In conclusion, Sergeant York is a great American hero. He gave it his best and never gave up. He captured and killed many Germans and was an expert sharpshooter. He was given many medals, too. He was a brave, helpful, and risk-taking solider. Sergeant York is a great American hero to many people.

Alvin York - Website dedicated to Alvin York
Alvin York