Captain Sullenburger

by James from United States

120265Captain Sullenbergerhttps://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3a/Chesley_Sullenberger_honored_crop.jpgCan you imagine flying a plane where you lost power in both engines? Well, Captain Sullenburger did, and had to land on the Hudson River. Captain Sullenburger is the most heroic pilot ever. Captain Sullenburger has always loved planes. This got him through what happened to both of the engines and land the plane safely on the Hudson River. That’s what makes him the most heroic pilot ever. Captain Sullenburger has also had many other major accomplishments too. He is very heroic in many ways.

Captain Sullenburger III (nicknamed Sully) loved airplanes from the start. He flew airplanes his whole life. He was born in 1951 in Denison Texas. He got into the interest of planes after he saw military jets fly by. In 1975, he graduated the Airforce. He flew lots of different planes before becoming an airlines pilot for U.S Airways.

On January 15, 2009, Captain sullenburger made a very heroic act. He landed flight 1549 (an A320) on the Hudson River after Canadian geese flew into the engines. He took off at LaGuardia airport and couldn’t make it back or to any other airports in the area. He had 208 seconds to make the decision to land the plane on the Hudson River. He made the right decision to land the plane on the Hudson because if he tried to go to any airports in the area, he would've crashed unsafely. All 155 passengers/crew were saved.

Captain Sullenburger has had many major accomplishments. He landed flight 1549 on the Hudson River. Then, he proved to the National Transportation Safety Board that he made the right decision to land on the Hudson River instead of trying to land at another airport. It took a long time. He also went to the Airforce as top flyer.

120800Flight 1549 in the Hudson RiverUS Airways Flight 1549 - WikipediaCaptain Sullenburger is very heroic in many ways. He's a lifesaver because if he made one wrong move when landing the plane on the Hudson, the plane would have crashed unsafely. He's also caring because he was the last person off the plane after making sure everyone got off the plane. He's also smart because he knew that he would never be able to make it back to LaGuardia airport.

Captain Sullenburger shows that he can do the impossible. He is important because he shows that anything is possible as long as you work hard and do your best. He's heroic in lots of different ways: he landed a plane on a river and everyone survived, he made sure everyone got off. It really was a miracle on the Hudson.

Wikipedia, Wikipedia. Chesley Sullenberger. [Online] Available https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesley_Sullenberger.2018.

Borkar, Neha. 11 Facts About Hero Pilot Chesley 'Sully' Sullenberger Who Performed The Hudson Miracle. [Online] Available 11 Facts About Hero Pilot Chesley 'Sully' Sullenberger Who Performed The Hudson Miracle. 2018.