Produced by: The Moxie Institute/Dir. Tiffany Shlain
A Case for Dreaming
5:58
Sorry, your browser does not support inline SVG. Sorry, your browser does not support inline SVG.

A Case for Dreaming

Produced by: The Moxie Institute/Dir. Tiffany Shlain | Experimental | 2015 | USA | 5:58

This short 6 min film explores the creative and emotional importance of….letting our brains do nothing. While scientists have long been studying and theorizing about what happens in our brains when we are sleeping, Director Tiffany Shlain connects this to her new fascination with what happens in our brains when we are daydreaming. We all know that feeling -- a deadline is looming and we find a way to do anything but (do the dishes, online shop, go for a run, weed the garden, take a shower), and somewhere in there, something clicks. Things become more clear. New research shows this is because of the Default Mode Network -- an enormous network in our brains that kicks in when we’re zoning out and that allows us to make new connections that can lead to our most creative and insightful thoughts. And with smartphones in our pockets at all times, how many hours of mind wandering are we losing? What are we losing by forgetting to just stare out the window? Wouldn't we all like a scientific excuse to just...do nothing?

This film is part of the Emmy-nominated hit series, 'The Future Starts Here,' where Director Tiffany Shlain takes us on a series of wildly entertaining, daring and inspiring rides exploring what it means to be human in an increasingly connected world. From the latest neuroscience on daydreaming to the evolution of social media to new perspectives on creativity, diplomacy, gender and the future of our species, Shlain uses her signature style of fast-paced images, colorful animations, and daring and funny insights to encourage us all to think about where we're headed.