Celebrating the best of humanity, one story at a time.
Visit our Facebook Visit our Twitter

Heroic Virtues Forum

Heroic Virtues: AN INTRODUCTION
By Charles F. Harper

“A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.” — Joseph Campbell

Reinhold Niebuhr put it best: "Nothing that is worth doing can be achieved in our lifetime; therefore, we must be saved by hope. ... Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accomplished alone; therefore, we are saved by love. No virtuous act is quite as virtuous from the standpoint of our friend or foe as it is from our standpoint. Therefore, we must be saved by the final form of love, which is forgiveness."

How do we know a hero when we see one?

Ryan Hreljac - Vision
Ryan Hreljac - Vision
On the MY HERO website you will find heroes of all ages, from all walks of life, and who have been at the forefront of heroic ventures and actions that range from saving a life from a raging fire to saving animals from extinction to just being a living expression of love.

Mother Teresa - Humility
Mother Teresa - Humility
The question that we will explore in this forum is: What qualities make someone a hero or how do we know a hero when we see one?

Joseph Campbell once described a hero as the average man or woman who gets up every morning, goes down to the subway station and heads off to work. Each day dying just a little bit to provide food and shelter for his or her loved ones. (The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell)

Nelson Mandela - Love
Nelson Mandela - Love
This description of a hero runs counter to popular images of heroes. We either tend to think of heroes as imaginary super-heroes with super powers, or the heroes we find everyday in our police stations, fire stations, schools and homes, or those special people who have a vision for the way the world should be when it comes to caring for people who have been marginalized because of race, economics, social class, sexual orientation, gender, ethnicity or even intellectual ability.

The Dalai Lama - Faith
The Dalai Lama - Faith
Yet, Campbell would have us believe that the average Joe or Josephine who goes out into the work world everyday to make a living for himself or herself and his or her family is a hero. Why?

Ellen Johnson Sirleaf - Perseverance
Ellen Johnson Sirleaf - Perseverance
I think Campbell is saying that you can define a hero as much by the content of his or her character as by his or her particular heroic action or vision. The average person goes to work every day to a job that may or may not be too small for his or her soul. This action may not seem as glamorous or headline worthy as the hero who rushes into a burning building to save a life, but Joe and Josephine make sacrifices every day. They are just as committed to a vision of how life should be lived as any global visionary or hero.

Austin Gutwein - Hope
Austin Gutwein - Hope
Joseph Campbell's definition of a hero is as thought provoking as it is inspiring. However, like any hero, Campbell's hero is only inspiring if we see in that person a spirit which exudes one or a combination of virtues, which include, but are not limited to, joy, hope, love, serenity, loyalty, humility, perseverance, faith, and honesty. When individuals manifest one or more of these virtues in their very being they become a role model that inspires us to be better than we thought we could be.

Join me in exploring those virtues, which the "heroic" person exemplifies in his or her way of being, in their walk as well as their talk.
  Click here to watch the MY HERO Forum Tour!

Question for Discussion:
Do you think that the character of a hero is as important as the heroic deed itself?

VirtuePick
ESSAYS ON HEROIC VIRTUES

arrow  Heroic Virtue: VISION

arrow  Heroic Virtue: HUMILITY

arrow  Heroic Virtue: LOVE

arrow  Heroic Virtue: FAITH

arrow  Heroic Virtue: PERSEVERANCE

arrow  Heroic Virtue: JOY

arrow  Heroic Virtue: HONESTY

arrow  Heroic Virtue: HOPE

LESSON PLAN

arrow  Anatomy of a Heroic Action

AN ADDENDUM OF VIRTUES

The heroic virtues we've explored in this forum are far from exhaustive. We encourage you to visit The Virtues Project. Here you will find virtues in a flash, literally in a flash card format. The Virtues Project explores virtually every virtue under the sun or in your soul, including:

Tact
Gratitude / Thankfulness
Peacefulness / Serenity
Respect / Consideration
Tolerance
Service
Orderliness / Cleanliness
Kindness / Forgiveness
Flexibility
Excellence
Helpfulness / Cooperation
Gentleness
Modesty
Moderation
Creativity
Detachment
Generosity
Flexibility
Excellence

We invite you to explore the virtues that inspire you and discover how they apply to your own heroic quest.

Now... Tell us what you think...

If you are writing more than one paragraph, be sure to
include the HTML code <p> for each paragraph break.
NOTE - Postings with bbCode or more than one HTML link will not be accepted.

And tell us about you!
  Name*:
  City:
  State:
  Country*:
  Email:
  Phone:
Your e-mail and phone information will only be used to contact you if we feature your story on our site and/or TV show!

You hereby give My Hero the right to include your comments in the My Hero Forum as well as all other media on a non exclusive, perpetual basis.

Before clicking the "Submit Hero" button, please enter the text that appears in the security image below into the adjoining text box. If you're having trouble reading the image text, click your browser's "Reload" button to try a different image.

©2013 The My Hero Project, Inc. All rights reserved. Technical errors or questions? support@myheroproject.org

.
Support Us