Press_Release

Gala Event Honors Young Heroes from Around the World

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact: Emma Olson
949-376-5964
[email protected]

Gala Event Honors Young Heroes from Around the World.

LOS ANGELES, CA - February 28, 2011

On February 23rd, former child soldier Mohamed Sidibay was flown to Los Angeles to join other Unsung Young Heroes on the red carpet at the Children's Dream Awards.

When he was three years old, rebel soldiers in Sierra Leone murdered Mohamed Sidibay's family and forced him to work for the Revolutionary United Front army as a child soldier. He remained under their control for seven years, and the experience has shaped the rest of his life.

Since the end of the war in Sierra Leone and his release from the army, Sidibay has been working to educate himself. He plans to go into international law so that he can prevent international conflicts and ensure that no other children are forced to become soldiers. His story stands as a crushing rebuke to the notion that some lives are beyond hope, demonstrating that with enough determination even the worst experiences can be transformed into the brightest.

In the event last week, Mohammed told young people of all walks of life that they must "first change themselves to change the world."

Sidibay joined other Unsung Heroes and Celebrity Dream Angels who serve as role models and personify the spirit of giving. These young people are being celebrated for their work to effect positive change in communities worldwide. Awardees included Jacob and Isaac Seigel-Boettner, who are raising awareness and funds to bring bicycles to those in need; Miranda Andersen, who's film teaches us how to protect endangered coral; Slater Jewell-Kemker, a young environmental activist and filmmaker; Tommy Carroll, who has overcome physical handicaps to follow his dreams; and Matthew Cohen, who's website powerfromthesun.us has raised over $5,000 to provide solar ovens to displaced people in Haiti.

The Children's Dream Awards are produced by Children Uniting Nations, a proactive non-profit organization that brings attention to the plight of at-risk and foster youth. Honorees at this year's Children Dream Awards were nominated by The MY HERO Project, a non-profit organization that provides teachers and students around the world with an online venue to celebrate the best of humanity through stories, art and short films.

To learn more about Children Uniting Nations and the event visit www.childrenunitingnations.org

To see short films and read more about these inspiring young people visit www.myhero.com

Children Uniting Nations - Learn more about this organization
2011 Childrens Dream Awards - Watch MY HERO's coverage of the 2011 Childrens Dream Awards
MY HERO Report Volume II - Mohamed Sidibay - Watch Mohamed Sidibay's piece, as part of the MY HERO Report Youth Edition, Volume II