Ruby Bridges

by Sarah from Bradford

I now know that experience comes to us for a purpose and if we follow the guidance of the spirit within us we will find the purpose is a good one

Ruby Bridges is an extraordinary girl who did extraordinary things. She went through lots of obstacles just to get this far and I think she made a difference in the world.

Ruby Bridges was born September 8, 1954 in Tylertown, Mississippi. Ruby's mother Lucille wanted Ruby to have and better education but Ruby's father Avon thought if Ruby went to school it would affect the family. Ruby Bridges was the first African American to go to an integrated school. When Ruby was very young, people would separate the black children from the white children. People thought whites were better then blacks just because the colour of their skin. The Judge ordered Ruby to go Frantze Elementary School, which was a school where white children went. She had Federal Marshals leading her in the school, out of the school and to the washroom. I could see when times would get hard for Ruby.

When Ruby was young, white people didn't want black people to be treated as equals. Ruby got threatened when she went to school. For example, people threatened to poison Ruby. I could imagine that would be very scary for Ruby. No matter what colour of her skin, Ruby's teacher was always there for her. She cared for Ruby and taught her. After the winter break Ruby started seeing a child psychiatrist named Dr. Coles. After a while Dr. Coles became friends with Ruby's family. Dr. Coles was curious to see how Ruby handled the pressure of having marshals escorting her. Dr. Coles helped Ruby very much.

Ruby Bridges displays many character traits like courage, respect and perseverance. No matter what happened, Ruby went to school every day and respected her teacher. Ruby has perseverance because every day she kept trying to learn and have an education, no matter how hard it got. After a while Ruby had become a travel agent and would go around to schools to encourage children of all races to have a good education because in the long run it would be worth it!

(http://www.rubybridges.com/images/toronto_ruby.jpg)

Ruby Bridges could have quit going to Frantze Elementary School but she didn't! Ruby teaches me to never give up and how important it is to have an education with different people so I can meet new friends and learn about different cultures!

Ruby Bridges was just an original girl now she's a great American and Canadian Hero!

Ruby Bridges - Information about Ruby
Ruby Bridges - Ruby's Website for Kids