"If it can be done it is not a bad practice for man of many years to die with a boy heart."

WRITER HERO:
CARL SANDBURG

Carl Sandburg
Carl Sandburg was a truly American writer. Not only because every poem he wrote dealt with life the United States, or because his greatest work of prose a three-volume biography of Abraham Lincoln, or because he collected and published a book of American folk songs. It was also because Sandburg was a man of great social conscience who made himself a voice of compassion for the poor farmers, the lowly factory workers, the struggling milkmen, the desperate "working girls."
Who shall speak for the people?
who has the answers?
where is the sure interpreter?
who knows what to say?

--From "The People, Yes"

Sandburg came from a poor family himself. Although he was extremely intelligent, he knew that his parents would never have the money to send him to college, and so he left school at the age of fourteen. With neither regrets or reservations, he set out to help his family by learning "a trade." He worked as a milkman, as a barber, as a pharmacy clerk in his hometown of Galesburg, Illinois and when, at age seventeen, he longed to see more of the country, he set out by rail to become a wandering laborer.
Sandburg Around 1922

Travelling from city to city, he took jobs wherever he could, working throughout the midwestern states as a farmhand or a dishwasher. Sometimes he got paid in money, sometimes he accepted food for payment. Between cities he hopped freight trains--"hoboing" as they called it then. He met a lot of interesting people. It was a fine preparation for writing poetry.

He returned to Illinois, "changed...easier about looking people in the eye....deep in my heart now I had hope as never before. Struggles lay ahead, I was sure, but whatever they were I would not be afraid of them." He found a new struggle at the age of twenty, when the Spanish Government blew up the U.S.S. Maine in the Havana Harbor, and thousands of young men joined the army to "throw the Spanish government out of Cuba and let the people of Cuba have their republic."

Bundles
I have thought of beaches, fields,
tears, laughter.

I have thought of homes put up-
And blown away.

I have thought of meetings and for
Every meeting a good-by.

I have thought of stars going alone,
Orioles in pairs, sunsets in blundering
Wistful deaths.

I have wanted to let go and cross over
to a next star, a last star.

I have asked to be left a few tears
And some laughter.

--From Good Morning, America

Sandburg did not have the money to go to college, and did not expect to go. However, he did everything he could to educate himself. He felt very lucky when one of his friends found a way for him to attend Lombard, a local college, on a full scholarship. He studied Literature. It was during this time that he published his first book of poems, In Reckless Ecstasy. It was then that he met Lilian Steichen, whom he married. He began his professional life as a reporter for the Wisconsin newspaper Milwaukee Leader and became very active in local politics: he believed that every single person deserved to have a good life, not just the rich and the powerful. Sandburg continued to write, travel, meet other writers; he led the paragon of a literary life. He produced many books of poetry, nonfiction, and stories for kids that had such fascinating titles as Rootabaga Stories, Early Moon, and Potato Face.

Sandburg Reading to his Grandchildren

Long after his death Sandburg is still a hero to many Americans. Every April his hometown of Galesburg, Illinois throws a "Sandburg Festival." One of his former homes has been turned into a state park, another into a national historic site. There's even a college named for him. Lilian Steichen's brother, Edward, was a photographer: he was constantly taking pictures of Sandburg which is why there are so many flattering portraits of him, and even a picture book about his life.

Did Carl Sandburg have a hero himself? It seems as though he had many. In his autobiography he names one of his old bosses, a milkman with a good sense of humor, as his hero. In the same book he also frequently mentions Abraham Lincoln in heroic terms, and the fact that he dedicated years to writing Lincoln's biography confirms Sandburg's high estimation of the former President. But there were others as well, possibly too many to name. Carl Sandberg once wrote a eulogy for his college teacher and mentor, Professor Philip Wright:

Philip Green Wright will always be a momentous figure to me... I had four years of almost daily contact with him at college, for many years visited him as often as possible, and there was never a time when he did not deepen whatever reverence I had for the human mind. He was a great man and teacher in his profound influence on the potential young men with whom he came in contact. Many of these will always bless his memory and keep it green.

Last changed on: 3/20/2008 8:07:24 AM

Carl Sandburg National Home and Historic Site

Poetryfoundation.org is an independent literary organization committed to a vigorous presence for poetry in American culture. It exists to discover and celebrate the best poetry and to place it before the largest possible audience.

Carl Sandburg -- Chicago Poems

Modern American Poetry

Carl Sandburg Birthplace and Historic Site

Carl Sandburg: Adventures of a Poet
by Carl Sandburg, Penelope Niven

Chicago Poems
by Carl Sandburg

Harvest Poems: 1910-1960
by Carl Sandburg, Mark Van Doren

Honey and Salt
by Carl Sandburg

Poems for Children Nowhere Near Old Enough to Vote
by Carl Sandburg

Rainbows Are Made: Poems by Carl Sandburg
by Carl Sandburg, Lee Bennett Hopkins (Editor)

Rootabaga Stories (Odyssey Classic)
by Carl Sandburg, Maud Petersham, Miska Petersham

The Complete Poems of Carl Sandburg
by Carl Sandburg

The Family of Man
by Edward Steichen, Carl Sandburg

The Huckabuck Family and How They Raised Popcorn in Nebraska and Quit and Came Back
by Carl Sandburg

More Featured Poet Heroes

More Featured Writer Heroes

.