College & Career Heroes, 2008-2009

Capistrano Valley High School, Mission Viejo, CA

These hero stories are from Mr. Baker's freshman College & Career Planning course. Students focus on real individuals who exemplify their own values and aspirations for the future.

James Herriot

By: Zoe from Mission Viejo

Coco Chanel

By: Kasey from Mission Viejo
“In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.”

Donna Karan

By: Jayne from Mission Viejo
“Delete the negative; Accentuate the positive!”

Erica Davies

By: Payton from Mission Viejo
The vision without action is a dream. Action without vision is simply passing the time. Action with a Vision is making a positive difference.

Frank Lloyd Wright

By: Alexis from Mission Viejo
"A great architect is not made by way of a brain nearly so much as he is made by way of a cultivated, enriched heart. "

Johnny Knoxville

By: Sabrina from Mission Viejo
"Being a complete juvenile delinquent helped me grow up a little."

Katherine Von Drachenburg

By: Kelsey from Mission Viejo
"If I was you, and I'm not saying that I am, I would definitely get tattooed by Kat. I know I am--I mean come on." -Kore Flatmo

Lauren Conrad

By: Marisa from Mission Viejo
“Like everybody and trust no one”, Lauren Conrad.

Luca di Montezemolo

By: Wesley from Mission Viejo
"It's important to have a serene climate and to avoid continuous changes, creating uncertainty for those who work and making decisions for the future difficult."

Nigel Barker

By: Lauren from Mission Viejo
"I worked for some incredible designers, I traveled the world. I learned a lot about photography; which is my love and what I am doing now."

Shigeru Miyamoto

By: Greg from Mission Viejo
“I wanted to make something very unique, something very different.”

Steve-O

By: Kaylee from Mission Viejo

Tim Burton

By: Steven from California
[on cult director Edward D. Wood Jr.]

Tory Burch

By: Emily from Mission Viejo

Vivienne Westwood

By: Joanna from Mission Viejo
Feminists wish women to seem like men. They're not men.

Walt Disney

By: Junelle from Mission Viejo

Bill Gates

By: Michael from Mission Viejo
As we look ahead into the next century, leaders will be those who empower others

Donald Trump

By: Ryan from Mission Viejo
“I try to learn from the past, but I plan for the future by focusing exclusively on the present. That's where the fun is.”

Jack Odell

By: Jennifer from Mission Viejo
'“We produce more Rolls-Royces in a single day than the Rolls-Royce company has made in its entire history,” he said.'

Mark Zuckeberg

By: Ally from Mission Viejo
“There's lots of stuff none of us have ever seen before. That's good in some ways, but limiting in other ways.”- Mark Zuckerberg

Steve Jobs

By: Adam from Mission Viejo
“Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?”

William Henry Gates III

By: Aryan from Mission Viejo
“Our goal in this country must be to prepare all students for college, work, and citizenship. And our challenge is to give students and schools the support they need to reach that goal.”

Bethany Hamilton

By: Shereen from Mission Viejo
“Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts. That's what little girls are made of; the heck with sugar and spice.”

Bill O'Reilly

By: Jonas from Mission Viejo
I'm not a political guy in the sense that I embrace an ideology. To this day I'm an independent thinker...

Melissa Arnold

By: Kirsten from Mission Viejo
“Work hard and you will accomplish what you want!”

Tori Degen

By: Taylor from Mission Viejo
"A Wish More Than Fulfilled"

Jeff Samuel Corwin

By: Christine from Mission Viejo
I think I do what I do today because of having those symbolic experiences in my childhood, and frogs have always held a special place in my conservation efforts.

Jim Moriarty

By: Haley from Mission Viejo
"Risk is your friend; broken bones heal. Become and addict for learning. World travel is the best educator. Understand it's not about you. Seek balance."

Neil A. Armstrong

By: Matt from Mission Viejo
“That’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.”

Ginny White

By: Taylor from Mission Viejo
“Be the best you can be!”

Rick Warren

By: Ryan from Mission Viejo
“Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less.”

Dr Hooshang Taybi

By: Kelsi from Mission Viejo
“The Pediatric Radiologic world surely could never have functioned without this remarkable physician. His syndrome book, soon to be in its 4th edition, is an unbelievable creation.”by Walter Berdon

Dr. Jack Mannix

By: Cristie from San Juan Capistrano

Lt. Michael P. Murphy

By: Kyle from Mission Viejo
“I can think of no one more deserving of this medal today. It can never make up for his loss, but it extends the honor which he and his family so well deserve.” said Rep. Timothy Bishop

Alicia Keys

By: Madison from Mission Viejo
“It’s nothing coming from this hype machine. It’s just Alicia. I like to be onstage, I like to write music, I like to make music. And that’s really what the point is.”

Fred McFeely Rogers

By: Wyatt from Mission Viejo
“You are special”

Hilary Hahn

By: Marina from Mission Viejo
The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul. -Johann Sebastian Bach

James Hetfield

By: Dakota from Mission Viejo
"I choose to live, not just exist."

Kurt Donald Cobain

By: Meaghen from Mission Viejo

Paul McCartney

By: Chris from Mission Viejo

Colin Luther Powell

By: J.T. from Mission Viejo
"Bad news isn't wine. It doesn't improve with age."

Maria Menounos

By: Danielle from Mission Viejo
“You have to take control of your own career.” Maria Menounos

Dr. William Loudon

By: Kellie from Mission Viejo
"I recommend parents talk to their children about the cognitive, physical, and emotional consequences of brain injuries – most of all, a helmet could save their lives."

Paul Ekman

By: Allison from Mission Viejo
"Most lies succeed because no one goes through the work to figure out how to catch them"

Paul Greengard

By: Inje from Mission Viejo
Paul Greengard received a Nobel Prize for Medicine for his understanding of the nervous system.

Vincent Iannelli

By: Kailee from Mission Viejo
“With my strong interest in pediatrics and the Internet, I think that I can help pediatricians and parents find the resources they need to help care for their children.”

Allen E. Iverson

By: Omar from Mission Viejo, California
"It's unfair because the people booing, I believe, wouldn't want to have their child booed. Fans don't understand our lives and what we go through. They don't look at us as humans."

Arn Tellem

By: Nick from Mission Viejo, California
"It will be an honor for me to help put him in pinstripes for the 2007 season."

Cristiano Ronaldo

By: Dylan from Mission Viejo, California
“I’m living a dream I never want to wake up from” - Cristiano Ronaldo

Dara Torres

By: Logan from Mission Viejo, California

Dwight Howard

By: Trevor from Mission Viejo, California
"Are you going to be tough, or are you going to be tough?"

Erik Vendt

By: Cameron from Mission Viejo, California

Fernando José Torres Sanz

By: Alex from Mission Viejo, California
“We're hoping that with the right blend of battle-hardened veterans and the freshness and verve of youth, we can become a very compact side and one that is very difficult to beat.” - Fernando Torres

Jennie Finch

By: Tiffany from Mission Viejo, California
"I don't want to be just a face. I want to go out there and prove something on the field." - Jennie Finch

Sarah McLachlan

By: Claire from Mission Viejo
"Don't Give Up"

Brett Favre

By: Casey from Mission Viejo
"What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger"

Hines Ward

By: Jung Woo (David) from Mission Viejo, California
"I thought winning the first Super Bowl was good. But winning the second one feels extra special because of all the stuff we had to go through ... We had the hardest schedule before the season started." - Hines Ward

Kerri Walsh

By: Jordan from Mission Viejo

Larry Fitzgerald

By: Donovan from Mission Viejo
In college, most of the time you can get by on your athletic ability. Sometimes last year, I got by on athletic ability. But it only takes you so far. To be an upper-echelon receiver in the league?

Lisa Leslie

By: Kelly from Mission Viejo, California
"I still believe I'm the best player. That's what keeps me going. I'm strong, I'm tough, I still wear my eyeliner."

Misty May-Treanor

By: Hailey from Mission Viejo, California
"It takes a lot of hard work and dedication just like any pro sport. Especially for beach volleyball you don’t have to be tall or as fast as other sports. You just have to have the skills."

Misty May-Treanor

By: Kelsey from Mission Viejo, California
"It takes a lot of hard work and dedication just like any pro sport. Especially for beach volleyball you don’t have to be tall or as fast as other sports. You just have to have the skills." - Misty May

Phil Jackson

By: Michael from Mission Viejo, California
"Wisdom is always an over match for strength." - Phil Jackson

Sarah Clarke (Flanagan)

By: Jessie from Mission Viejo, California
"A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals." - Larry Bird

Shannon Boxx

By: Karli from Mission Viejo, California

Steve Prefontane

By: Mason from Mission Viejo
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift.”

Oprah Winfrey

By: Constantina from Mission Viejo
"Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not. "

Tyra Banks

By: Tanya from Mission Viejo

Stephenie Meyer

By: Kasey from Mission Viejo

Richard P. Feynman

By: Aaron from Mission Viejo
“I'm smart enough to know that I'm dumb.

Nigel Barker

By: Brielle from Mission Viejo
“Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever... it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything.

Jonathan Papelbon

By: Eric from Mission Viejo, California

Dane Cook

By: Kevin from Mission Viejo
"I am going to name a group of my kids after my favorite cartoons, i am going to name my kids after Transformers."

Kelly Slater

By: Preston from Mission Viejo, California
"Surfing, alone among sports, generates laughter at its very suggestion, and this is because it turns not a skill into an art, but an inexplicable and useless urge into a vital way of life." - Matt Warshaw

Lance Armstrong

By: Alex from Mission Viejo, California
"If children have the ability to ignore all odds and percentages, then maybe we can all learn from them. When you think about it, what other choice is there but to hope?"

Andre Agassi

By: Aaron from Mission Viejo, California
"Every day, you have to be better than one person. And what is required each day is always different"

Will Smith

By: Abigail from Mission Viejo
Reading and Running (running meaning never giving up) will get you to success.

LeBron James

By: Conner from Capistano Valley High school

Organizer created on 7/7/2011 7:19:35 AM by Kent Baker

Last edited 12/27/2018 11:15:37 AM by Anthony Pouw