FINALISTS ANNOUNCED FOR MY HERO’S
2016 DAN ELDON ACTIVIST AWARD

CONTACT: Wendy Milette FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Director of Media
media@myheroproject.org
949-376-5964

FINALISTS ANNOUNCED FOR MY HERO’S 2016 DAN ELDON ACTIVIST AWARD

SANTA MONICA, CA – 10/21/16 - The MY HERO Project is happy to announce the finalists for the 2016 Dan Eldon Activist Award. The prestigious award is presented each year to a filmmaker whose work inspires others to heed the call of activism. 

Kathy Eldon, with her daughter Amy Eldon Turteltaub, presents the award each year in honor of her son Dan Eldon, a journalist who was killed on assignment in Somalia in 1994. This year’s award will be bestowed at The MY HERO International Film Festival’s Award Ceremony, November 19, 2016, at 7:30pm.

Ann and Jerry Moss Theater
Herb Alpert Educational Village
Capshaw-Spielberg Center for Educational Justice
3131 Olympic Blvd. 
Santa Monica, CA 90404

Finalists include: 

Plastic Bottle Village, a 6-minute film by director David Freid about a man building a village from recycled plastic bottles in an effort to help combat the growing problem of plastic waste that threatens to be more numerous than fish by the year 2050. 

The Black Mamba Anti-Poaching Unit Documentary, a 5-minute film produced by Black Bean Productions that shows a team of women being trained to fight poachers in an effort to end the illegal wildlife trade.

Touching the Untouchable, a 7.5-minute film produced and directed by Chihiro Wimbush and Dir. Meena Srinivasan that shows efforts by a new generation of India’s Dalits who are taking steps toward gaining basic human rights, like water, sanitation and education, that they have been denied for generations. The effort is being led by a Civil Rights-era African-American who understands the plight of the disenfranchised.

Water Song by Will Parrinello and the Mill Valley Film Group tells the story of a Peruvian subsistence farmer who bravely stood up to the giant Newmont Mining Corporation over the development of a gold and copper mine on her property. 

Upstanders: The Kids Who Killed an Incinerator, by Howard Schultz and Rajiv Chandrasekaran is an episode of Starbucks Original Series Upstanders. We learn about a courageous high school student and her colleagues who saved their neighborhood from the installation of a toxic, polluting incinerator.

We Are Ngarrindjeri, directed by Jennifer Lyons-Reid and Johanis Lyons-Reid, 
As part of Ngarrindjeri's national-building campaign, this short documentary features several generations of Ngarrindjeri, elders past and present, and the breadth of Ngarrindjeri activities across culture, lands and waters. Ngarrindjeri are claiming their rights to culture through an ongoing struggle for survival as the only indigenous nation living within 100 kilometers from a major western city in South Australia.

The Equal Justice Initiative, by Gabriel Diamond, takes a look at the Equal Justice Initiative (EJI), a group working to equalize and reform the United States’ justice system that has nearly 1/3 of young black men under some form of criminal justice control. The group seeks freedom for people unjustly imprisoned and works to change laws by litigating cases with a broad potential impact.

Click here for more information or to RSVP for the event.

To view the films of the finalists, and three Honorable Mentions, please visit the MY HERO Screening Room

The MY HERO International Film Festival is part of The MY HERO Project, a 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to celebrating the everyday heroes working to create positive change in the world. For more information, or resources for educators, please email festival director Wendy Milette at media@myheroproject.org or visit www.myhero.com.

More Featured Press_Release Heroes