Audrey Hepburn

by Katarina from San Diego

“For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.” ~ Audrey Hepburn

When people hear the name Audrey Hepburn, the words beauty, style and grace come to mind. Others know her as cute and flirty characters from movies such as Breakfast at Tiffany’s and Sabrina. However, Audrey’s life amounted to more than just a big screen entertainer or fashion leader. She was a dignified, compassionate and selfless woman who was beautiful beyond the physical sense. Long before Oprah, Madonna or Angelina and Brad, she helped children in Africa and Latin-America. Audrey Hepburn remains a beloved icon with proven success as an actress, dancer, singer, speaker and UNICEF’s most famous Ambassador. She lived her life by the philosophy of serving others. As she once said, “Remember; if you ever need a helping hand, it’s at the end of your arm, as you get older, remember you have another hand: The first is to help yourself, the second is to help others” (Bourgoin). Audrey Hepburn dedicated herself to aiding those in need while living a remarkable life as a true humanitarian and an inspiration to people around the world.

Hepburn’s childhood made a long-lasting impression on her adult years. Her experiences as a young girl changed her outlook on life and even impacted her actions in adulthood. She experienced many hardships, disappointments and frustrations growing up. Yet through all of this, she learned perseverance and determination. At an early age, Audrey Hepburn’s father walked out on the family. Soon after, her mother sent her to boarding school in England where she studied ballet. It was a lonely and challenging time for such a young girl. The discipline of dance and her rigorous studies, while living away from her family, made it very difficult on Audrey. In 1937, her parents formally divorced and she returned home to her mother. This preceded the outbreak of World War II. Audrey and her mom moved to Holland where they thought they would be safe. Unfortunately, it was far from that. The Nazi invasion began and they lived in very harsh conditions. Audrey was deprived of food and warm shelter. She suffered malnutrition and other serious health issues. Looking back as an adult, Hepburn described the experience as a fearful, depriving event, yet she viewed it as a great learning opportunity. “Being without food, fearful for one’s life, the bombings--all made me appreciative of safety, of liberty. In that sense, I learned the bad experiences have become positive in my life” (Hellstern 11).

As a result of all that happened to Audrey, she began to draw herself deeply into the art of music, dancing and acting, where she later earned great fame and success. She won many awards for her works including an Academy Award and Golden Globe for Roman Holiday, a Tony Award for her performance in Ondine, a Theater World Award for her work on Broadway in the play, Gigi, amongst many other honors. During these times, she became an idol of many young girls and women who admired her unique, elegant style. The public truly adored her talent, beauty and glamour. Audrey was proud of her accomplishments; however, she felt that she needed to do more with her life.

Hepburn knew she could use her fame to help others. The press constantly asked the movie star for interviews and to give her opinions on a variety of topics. She became well-known for her wisdom and for having a positive outlook. Audrey’s basic philosophies of having a sense of self and personal style, a good attitude, living without regret and working hard were often publicized. Meanwhile, Audrey also began talking about “having a purpose” and “giving back.” Her desire to help others became apparent. While many fans just wanted fashion advice, she was more focused on sharing deep and inspirational thoughts, or informing society about the terrible conditions that children in Africa were forced to live in. Audrey felt lucky that she could bring this issue to the public’s attention: “And if this career has given me something very special, it’s the fact that it’s left me with whatever this is--this voice, this curiosity that people still have to see me, to talk to me – which I can use for the good of children. What could be nicer?” (Keogh 206).

At this time she was volunteering for the United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF). In 1989, after years of service, the group appointed her the UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador to work with politicians and relief workers to help the world’s neediest children. Upon this appointment, she said, “I can testify to what UNICEF means to children, because I was among those who received food and medical relief right after World War II” (Ferran). She worked endlessly to help young people both in the United States and abroad. During her time as Ambassador, she went on mission trips all over the world, including traveling to Bangladesh, Somalia and Ethiopia. Hepburn was deeply touched by what she saw there and “came to realize that the world’s problems were not unsolvable, if the world would give a little more” (Hellstern 183). She brought attention to the need for more financial help from society and world leaders, and was so successful in doing so, that UNICEF doubled their fundraising efforts. As a result, in 1992, Hepburn was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest honor a civilian can receive.

In a world of selfishness, the sincerity and generosity that Audrey Hepburn demonstrated earned her the reputation as a true American hero and icon. In addition to her status as a successful actress, a respected public speaker, and a devoted humanitarian, people admire Ms. Hepburn for her timeless beauty, elegance and her remarkable “willingness to help” attitude. Growing up without a father, living through the Nazi invasion, and dealing with the demands of fame, all contributed to her dedicated work ethic and personal outlook. Marked by challenges, her young life taught her many things about hope, commitment, and serving others in a pure and selfless way. Even though volunteering in faraway lands took her away from the glamour of Hollywood and New York, she never viewed her charitable efforts as a sacrifice: “This is no sacrifice, it’s a gift I am receiving” (Hellstern 171). Audrey Hepburn was more than just a Hollywood star, she was an inspiration who lived her life in the most meaningful way. She is fondly remembered saying, “For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness, and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone” (Keough 163). These are the words of a true hero.

"The best thing to hold onto in life is each other." ~ Audrey Hepburn

The Audrey Hepburn Children's Fund - supports many organizations around the world dedicated to helping improve the lives of children through various programs and initiatives.
Audrey1 - An Audrey Hepburn Fan Site
UNICEF - believes that nurturing and caring for children are the cornerstones of human progress. UNICEF was created to work with others to overcome the obstacles that poverty, violence, disease and discrimination place in a child’s path.
UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Audrey Hepburn - Read more about Audrey Hepburn's work with UNICEF.