Ashley Collazo

by Karalyn from Oak Forest

Who is my hero you ask? Is it a firefighter or police officer? A famous person? Maybe my parents? To all of these questions, the answer is no. My hero is a person I grew up despising. She's a person whom I used to fight with all of the time. A person who I couldn't get away from. My hero is my older sister, Ashley.

It's funny how growing up can change your perspective of a person. When I was little, Ashley wasn't exactly my best friend. We shared a room, and I absolutely loathed it, but I suppose all great heroes aren't loved by all, at least not at first. Take Abraham Lincoln, for example. At least half of the country did not love him; in fact, they hated him. Several people tried to take his life. It's only now, years later, that we realize how big of a blessing he was. Heaps of people didn't agree with him, but it didn't make him any less of an inspiration. At thirteen, I now realize just how important Ashley has been in my life. I see Ashley for who she really is, the best role model out there.

Ashley is super ambitious and hardworking. School and her grades always have been a top priority to her. She's never satisfied with anything below an A. Sometimes she stayed awake all night finishing homework. After discovering that we couldn't afford college, she was optimistic and didn't falter. She sent applications to tons of scholarships. Abraham Lincoln's parent's weren't very educated, and he walked miles just to acquire a book! You have to be blind not to see that Abe Lincoln drive in Ashley. In her freshman year of college, she was on the Dean's list! Furthermore, as a part of her scholarship, she is now taking classes in Spain! When Ashley has a dream, she shoots for it.

On top of being determined and hardworking, Ashley is reliable and trustworthy. She is the oldest and had numerous responsibilities, even as a kid. She had to babysit almost every night. We told on her and tattled, but she always forgave us. She doesn't hold grudges and she evaluates situations from everyone's perspective. She knows that every story is two-sided and she tried her best to walk in other people's shoes. Our sixteenth president had a sister himself, and when his mother died and his father remarried, he received two stepsisters and a stepbrother. His childhood life must have been difficult also. It takes great patience to deal with kids.

It's very easy to like my big sister. She looks out for others and encourages them. Ashley is sincere, and people can't help but loving her. She is currently across seas, but she still finds time to talk to me and help me with my problems. If I need it, she'll give me advice with the drop of a hat. Although she is out exploring and following her dreams, she doesn't forget her family. She can go so many places and be all that she can be, but I know she'll always have time for us. She still comes home to her troublesome siblings. Abe Lincoln, The Great Emancipator, had four boys himself, although sadly three of them died young. He missed his children and his wife when he was away. He wrote them letters, and they enjoyed going out together. It's obvious that Lincoln, too, had many other responsibilities, being the President and all, but he still came home to his family. Just like Ashley, he knew what came first.

So sure, I don't have a firefighter as my hero. My hero can't fly or spin webs like Superman or Spiderman. But in my opinion, she's better. She is a phenomenal role model and loves with all her heart. She goes after what she wants, thinks of others, and knows what is important. She has taught me all that I know about life, relationships, and how to be a better person. Ashley shines. She's bright, full of life, and the best older sister a girl could ask for. No one is perfect, and Ashley and I still don't get along, but that's just part of the process. We fight, make up, and learn things on the way. Hero has many definitions. There are superheroes and famous heroes. All I know is that even if Ashley doesn't fit all definitions of the word, she's the greatest hero of all.