Bethany Hamilton

by Patrice

Bethany Hamilton holding a surfboard  (http://www.bellaonline.com/review/issues/fall2012/ (Lisa Shea))
Bethany Hamilton holding a surfboard (http://www.bellaonline.com/review/issues/fall2012/ (Lisa Shea))

Bethany Hamilton was a hero and still is. She lost her arm in a shark attack and is still surfing strong. Bethany was born on February 8th, 1990 in Lihue, Hawaii and she was born to Thomas and Cheryl Hamilton. She grew up in San Diego, California. She was four years old when she started surfing. Bethany got bit by the shark when she was 13 years old. Now, Bethany is 24 years old and is married to Adam Dirks. I consider Bethany Hamilton a hero because she is brave, she never gives up and she is a hard worker.

Bethany Hamilton had to fight through really bad pain after being attacked by a shark. During that accident, and even now, she is brave. Bethany Hamilton is brave because she still surfs. She could have stopped surfing because she could have been scared of getting another shark bite. The first time that she tried to surf with one arm was when she was out with her friends. Her friends got in the water and started to surf. She was brave to get in the water and try to surf again. Bethany is also brave because she knew that she would be okay. Bethany never gave up hope. She knew that she would get better.

Bethany Hamilton never gave up, even though people told her that she would never be able to surf again. But she didn't listen to them. She was not going to give up on what she loved to do and was not going to let other people get in her way of doing what she wanted to do. Bethany took lessons to learn how to surf with one arm. Her parents said that she didn't have to take the lessons and didn't have to learn if she didn't want to, but she did want to learn. Bethany always told herself that she has to be able to surf again and she would do whatever it takes to learn how. She could have given up very easily, but she didn't. Not even a shark attack could keep Bethany from pursuing her dream.

Bethany Hamilton is a hard worker because she worked hard to learn how to do everything with one arm. She learned how to surf with one arm, she learned how to write with one arm, and she learned how to live with one arm. For almost two years, she was training on how to surf with one arm. It was very difficult at first, but then she learned and is an excellent surfer. Bethany dedicated her time to take all the lessons. She could have easily not put all of the work ethic into her lessons, but she did. She was going to work hard on learning what she wanted to do. Her life was very hard living with one arm. Her parents made her do some of the chores at home to start learning how to live with one arm. Bethany never complained, she wanted to learn so she could live a normal life. She worked hard to learn how to do things with one arm.

Even though Bethany Hamilton only has one arm, she is still one of the best surfers of all time. Not a lot of people could have gone through what she did. Bethany stood strong throughout the whole process. She was very brave. She put a lot of time and effort into learning how to surf with one arm. It was very challenging, but she did it. She wasn't going to let people put her down like a lot of people did. Bethany Hamilton made a big difference in the world. She inspires a lot of young surfers to accomplish their surfing goals and to be proud of what they have achieved. No matter what Bethany Hamilton does, she will always be a hero to me.