Barack Obama

by Fatima from Des Moines

My Hero

The word, “hero” can be defined in many ways. Webster’s Dictionary defines “hero” as a person of great courage, achievement, admiration and endowed with great strength and ability. To these words, I add the simple truths and virtues of honesty, integrity, genuineness, empathy, fairness, humility and a sense of humor to get one through the challenges of life.

The list of words defining a “hero” can go on and on. My family, relatives, my host family, friends, IRIS Staff, faculty and staff at Johnston High School and all those people who have touched my life are, indeed, “heroes” who have uplifted my life through spiritual, physical, emotional, social, and intellectual ways.

Abraham Lincoln, the 16th president of the United States is a genuine “hero.” On his Inauguration Day, March 4, 1861, he stated, “If my name ever goes into history, it will be for the Emancipation Act.” “Freedom of Slavery”, three powerful words which bring tears to my eyes knowing that my ancestors lived in chains of bondage and continued to experience denials of democratic freedoms throughout history and even today subtle discrimination exists. Yet, it was President Lincoln who said, “As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy. Whatever differs from this, to the extent of the difference, is no democracy.”

President Lincoln was a humble man who rose from a log cabin to the White House. He has a common sense approach to problems and was an eloquent speaker and could hold an audience spellbound. His speeches were simplistic, honest, and his courage was great and powerful. He educated himself by borrowing books and newspapers and ambitiously worked in menial jobs to become a lawyer and statesman. He has a wonderful sense of humor, as jokes were always directed toward him because of his height and lean body. He stood six feet, four inches and wore a high silk hat.

Many of his photographs show his hair uncombed, and he would make humorous comments like, “Why would you want to take a picture of this homely face? He truly brought out the desirable qualities of humankind and learned to laugh at himself and be himself in various circles of friends and crowds.

Yes, it was President Lincoln who gave the slaves their right to “democracy.” He is a “hero” of the people, and this “hero’s” picture is found today circulating in every person’s possession and the “lucky Penney” is even found on the ground and hailed by many who find a penny as a lucky coin. He is a legendary figure monuments, universities, schools, libraries, $5.00 bill, stamps, etc. All bear his name.

There have been many heroes after President Lincoln who, in Black History, have given their lives to end violence, slavery, and discrimination, and they, too, are my heroes; e.g., Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. I have toured Des Moines Historical Museum and learned about the many great heroes who paved the way for liberty and Civil Rights in America. Now, another great hero has been elected to the presidency — President Barack Obama, known as the “Hero of Hope.”

He, like Lincoln, is humble. His father was from Kenya and his mother from Kansas. His mother was White, and his grandparents objected to their marriage. When he was two years old, his father left him and went to Harvard to get his Ph.D., but never returned. His mother raised him alone and in 1964, she got divorced from Barack Obama Sr. Like Abraham Lincoln, he was a curious child and his mother read him books about different cultures. He learned to respect and appreciate other people. His mother later married a man from Indonesia; and moved to a small village in Indonesia. Barack grew to be tall like Lincoln. He stands out because of his black skin and his height.

When he was in third grade, he wrote that he wanted to become president. He didn’t say which country, but there was always a joke between him and his mother that he would be the first Black president.

Barack had so many qualities similar to Lincoln. His mother taught him to read and practice reading daily. He was friendly, helpful and learned the simple truths and virtues of life such as honesty, fairness from his parents. He wrote a book entitled, Dreams from My Father: a story of race and inheritance. He felt the racially based anger and was determined to go beyond this and hope for a better future. His future was in the making as a lawyer, and he fought for the rights of the poor, the minorities and those less fortunate. Like Lincoln, he won a seat in the Illinois legislature, he ran for a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives from Illinois and to be a U.S. Senator from Illinois. Whereas, Lincoln was a Republican, Barack is a Democrat. Both had children and their families were a priority in their lives. He represented the people of Illinois like Lincoln and when elected his caravan went down the same streets. Both voiced for a better democracy, a better way living for people of all races. When President Obama was sworn in as the 44th President of the U.S., he used the same bible as President Abraham Lincoln. The key and likeness to all this is the hope for a better democracy around the world, so that all people may enjoy their freedoms to a better quality of life.

It was Obama who sponsored the Democratic Republic of Congo Relief, Security and Democracy Promotion Act, which President Bush signed into law in December 22, 2006. This Act aimed to help end the long-running conflict in Africa-- the fighting in Sudan’s western Darfur region.

Both of these presidents have impacted my life in many ways. I am from Nigeria, hoping to achieve my dreams to become a pediatrician and care for the children of my country. Hope has come for me, as I was selected to be a part of the Youth Exchange and Study Program and to come to America to experience the “American Dream.” I have learned so much about America, its people and history. Now, we have another president who brings the same hope of democracy as Abraham Lincoln did. I have learned that it is the simple virtues of character which make one a “hero.” We all have these virtues within us. It is our mission to use these God-given gifts/talents to the best of our ability and to reach out to others to make this world a better place for all people, regardless of race.

If we as citizens of our countries, no matter where we live, can emulate President Lincoln and President Obama’s love for Democracy and hope, Family values and Simple Virtues in our lives, then we will bring peace to our life and our world. I will carry my “good luck” penny back to Nigeria and cherish it as a symbol of Love in America and Hope for Democracy, Freedom and Peace around the World.

With gratitude and respect

Fatima Musa