Support Us
It's not about money. It's not about limelight. It's more about the horse and its beauty and integrity on a lot of levels. ~ Gretchen Jackson

by Alexa from Quakertown, New Jersey

This is a drawing of Barbaro's face. (

Horses can be heroes too. Some people think a hero could only be a person or dog. Well I think a horse could be a hero. I don't see why there is a big difference between a dog and a horse. The're both mammals and animals. Dogs are heroes. So horses are heroes.

This is a picture of Barbaro at the Preakness. (http;//
On April 29, 2003 a legend was born. His name was Barboro. Barbaro was born in Kentucky; he was a dark bay racehorse that was a winner in the Kentucky Derby. Two weeks after the Kentucky Derby at the Preakness, Barbaro lived a breathtaking tragedy. He survived a leg injury called laminitis. This would distress his good legs until he couldn't walk.

This is Barbaro in his stall with flowers. (

On a Monday morning on January 29, Barbaro's life came to an end at New Bolton Center in Pennsylvania. Barbaro survived the tragedy for several months. It was a sad day for a lot of people. Especially those who cared, nursed, and stayed with him through the hard 7 months.

this is a picture of Barbaro's face with his halt (

Some of Barbaro's accomplishments are that he was undefeated in the six races completed. Barbaro also won the Kentucky Derby by six and a half lengths. If Barbaro hadn't died it would be very possible that he could have been the best horse since Secretariat.

this is a short poem about Barbaro. (

Barbaro is my hero because he had been through so much and never gave up. He struggled through laminitis for 7 months and never gave up fighting for his life. The day Barbaro died was very sad, but we all know he is in a safe place. There is always room for Barbaro in my heart.

Written by Alexa from Quakertown, New Jersey
This story has been submitted by a guest user and does not necessarily represent the views of The My Hero Project or its staff.

Barbaro Squidoo is a website that tells most about Barbaro's life outside the race track.

Barbaro-Wikipedia On Wikipedia you will find facts on Barbaro's life when he had laminitis.

Barbaro:Biography On you will find out about the races Barbaro accomplished.

More Featured Animal Heroes

Technical errors or questions?