David Constantine

by Thomas from Austin

A picture of <a href=http://www.cot.org.uk/newpublic/annual/images/david_constantine.jpg>David Constantine</a>
A picture of David Constantine

What is a hero to you? To me, a hero is kind, loving, thankful, respectful, honorable, courageous and caring. A hero has to show tolerance and persevere throughout his or her life. A hero can be poor, rich, pauper or king, but no matter what his race, religion or creed, he or she can still be a hero. Heroes can be pets, friends, parents, or someone who is in China or Egypt; what matters is what’s inside. My hero is a world helper and big dreamer. He is David Constantine. He has showed me and other people that just because you’re paralyzed that does not make you different or not able to do something.

David was paralyzed in 1982, in Australia, by misjudging a dive and breaking his neck. The accident left him a quadriplegic. How would you feel if one day you could walk and the next have to sit in a wheelchair for the rest of your life? I bet it would feel awful! That’s what it was like for David. But he has not given up helping others. David did give up once. Right after he was paralyzed he gave up taking pictures, but then he found gear and equipment to help him take pictures with his mouth.

<a href=http://www.sittingimages.com/images/MA_DCOrangeDesertShotWEB.jpg>David Constantine</a> in Merzouga, Morocco
David Constantine in Merzouga, Morocco

David has done something people would say was impossible. He has climbed Mount Kilimanjaro, been a photographer, co-founded a charity, and helped more than 26,000 people who didn’t have wheelchairs get wheelchairs. And he’s been paralyzed for 24 years! David C., Richard Frost, and Simon Gue have gone from a tiny shop, to a one-story building, to a charity that maybe one day can help you or a friend get a wheelchair. The charity can get a wheelchair that fits you and where you live perfectly. They can especially help if you don’t have a lot of money.

David Constantine helping others
David Constantine helping others

David is a world helper and a lifesaver. He and his charity, Motivation, have helped people get wheelchairs in 34 countries: Afghanistan, Albania, Angola, Bangladesh, Bosnia, Cambodia, El Salvador, Ethiopia, Honduras, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Lithuania, Macedonia, Malaysia, Maldives, Moldova, Namibia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Papua New Guinea, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Uganda, the United Kingdom, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. David’s most popular wheelchair is the Mekong (Mee-Kong). The Mekong is a three-wheeled wheelchair that is built for working in the fields and can even allow people to play sports like tennis or basketball.

My hero is amazing because he was paralyzed but still succeeded in helping others. In my opinion, David is someone to look up to, a role-model. David is my most favorite hero because he has qualities I admire a lot such as generosity, strength, perseverance, wisdom, and courage.