Dolly Parton

by Maggie & Karly from Hixson, Tennessee

Dolly Parton, Tennessee Hero

Dolly Parton was born on January 19,1946 in Sevierville, Tennessee. She is one of twelve children. Dolly and Carl Dean were married in May of 1966 and the next year her career took off. Dolly worked with Porter Wagoner who asked her to sing on his show.

Dolly is a great songwriter and singer. In 1974 she was voted Country Music Association Female Artist of the Year and in 1978 she was named the Country Music Association entertainer of the year. Dolly created The Dollywood Foundation. The money helps the Dolly Parton Imagination Library. The Imagination Library gives every preschool child in Tennessee a book each month from the time he or she is born to the time the child reaches kindergarten. Our younger brother and sister have received books each month from her foundation. We are proud of her efforts to help kids learn how to read. My mother is a teacher and I am glad Dolly has helped educate children. Dolly has demonstrated the characteristics of a hero by never giving up on her dream to be a singer, taking care of her family, and helping kids learn to read.

Biography - Biography of famous people