Daddy Yankee

by Camila from Buenos Aires, Argentina

The most successful Latin artist of all time.

Raymond Ayala, known as Daddy Yankee, was born on 3rd February 1977, in Villa Kennedy, Puerto Rico. In his childhood he was a very good baseball-player but unexpectedly he suffered an injury to one of his legs which left him with a permanent limp. This was the reason why he had to give up baseball. Since then he dedicated himself completely to his real devotion, music.

He began his career at the age of thirteen. In those times the reggaeton was a rhythm that was recently growing up. This motivated him to start playing it and tried to take it to the top and this was exactly what happened. With his first album called El Cangri.com. He soon became the king of Latin music. Daddy has started his career playing hip hop and now he’s playing reggaeton. Although it’s a very similar rhythm, his fans don’t care about that and continue listening to his music. There are only a few artists that you can compare with Daddy Yankee because only a few of them can break his own records while they are changing music styles.

This photo was taken in one of his campaigns!!

After becoming the ‘Big Boss’ of the reggaeton, the Puerto Rican singer has transformed into a complete artist, not only singing but also acting. His last three albums, Barrio Fino, Barrio Fino en Directo and El Cartel The Big Boss, have been top seller albums. During his sixteen-year career, Daddy Yankee has sold over seven million copies and has been the only artist who still continues being in the top-five for so long. Besides he is a very charitable man and has an incredible musical talent. I think Daddy Yankee is not just a singer, he is a MOVEMENT!!! And little by little he is conquering the world, and this is just the beginning . . .

From my point of view, Daddy Yankee is an inspiring hero because despite being poor and poorly influenced by his parents, he remained helping people instead of being selfish and careless of others. At the same time he fights for the justice of his hometown and therefore now he is recognized as “The Big Boss” and his last CD is called “TALENTO DE BARRIO”.

Although he had to deal with several obstacles along his life, he has continued with his dream without giving up like most people would have done. Thanks to this, it is why he is so popular nowadays.

Daddy Yankee - This is his own page; you can find all you want there!!
Daddy Yankee - Helping young, newly released convicts gain living skills