Click here to listen to the story

Haz clic aquí para leer la historia sobre Daniel Boone en español
"I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks." Daniel Boone

EXPLORER HERO:
DANIEL BOONE
by Tim from Waseca, Minnesota

Daniel Boone was a great pioneer explorer. He loved to wander through unknown territory. When he was a boy, he would take off and be gone on explorations for so long that his parents thought he was captured by Indians or visiting with friendly ones.

Daniel was born on November 2, 1734. He stood about five feet eight or nine inches tall. He was broad-shouldered, barrel-chested, and weighed about 175 pounds.

Daniel didn't go to school, but he did have an education. His mother taught him to read and write, and his father taught him how to survive in the wilds, shoot a gun, and to be a nice gentleman.

He always remembered the day he shot his first bear at the age of twelve; not many kids could shoot a bear at that age. They said the kids would get scared of the bear and freeze, but not Daniel.

Everyone said Daniel could hear a twig break from a quarter of a mile away. They also said he could spot something out of order like an Indian in the bushes. Daniel was a very nice man to everyone as far as we know. Throughout his life, Daniel couldn't hold a grudge against anyone of any color.

Daniel became a great American explorer. He went on many journeys and explored many places. He trailblazed through the Kentucky wilderness, leading settlers through the Cumberland Gap. He cleared the Wilderness Road and established the settlement of Boonesborough. Thousands of people followed the path, moving west into America.

In 1784 he published his memoirs, The Adventures of Daniel Boone, Formerly a Hunter; Containing a Narrative of the Wars of Kentucky. In his own words, we can learn all about his adventures.

Around 1799, Daniel Boone settled down near St. Louis, present day Missouri. He died September 26, 1820 at the age of 85, and will be remembered forever as a great American explorer and statesman.

Written by Tim from Waseca, Minnesota
Last changed on: 9/27/2016 11:44:53 AM

The lucidcafe has more details about his life.

Daniel Boone Homestead a historical site in Birdsboro, Pennsylvania that tells the story of Daniel Boone’s youth in Pennsylvania’s Oley Valley

To read about Daniel Boone in Spanish, click here to visit Mi Heroe’s Daniel Boone story.

Daniel Boone
by Laurie Lawlor, Kathleen Tucker (Editor)

Daniel Boone: An American Life
by Michael A. Lofaro

Daniel Boone: The Life and Legend of an American Pioneer
by John Mack Faragher

Daniel Boone: Young Hunter and Tracker (Childhood of Famous Americans Series)
by Augusta Stevenson

More Featured Explorer Heroes