Walt Disney

by Amanda from Selden MS

"I've always had a feeling that at any time you can experiment, you ought to do it, because you never know what will happen"

Do You Have A hero? I do. My Hero is Walt Disney. Walt Disney was an intelligent man. He accomplished many things in his life, like creating movies, theme parks and many others things. He went to different levels with his cartoons, by adding sound and color to them. He always wanted to do something different than the cartoons that had already been done. He always went above and beyond with his films and everything else that he did.

Walt Disney worked hard his whole life. When he was a kid he worked for his father, but all he wanted to do was draw. No matter what anyone said he wanted to do what he did best, draw. When he want to Hollywood in the early 1920's he wanted to try acting but it did not work. He was going to a be an extra in a movie but they got rid of him and other people and got new people. Therefore, he went back to making cartoons. One cartoon he made was called Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. It was a huge success. The only problem was that Walt himself did not own the cartoon and he lost it but that did not stop him. He wanted a new character and he wanted it to be a mouse. He decided to name the character Mickey Mouse (with the help of his wife). He started making cartoons with his new character; the first one that was released had sound. Then he wanted to do something new so he made Silly Symphonies, and these cartoons had sound. Later on he added color to the Silly Symphony and to Flowers and Trees. In the 1930s, he wanted to make a full length cartoon. He wanted it to be a fairy tale. After looking at some fairy tales, he decided on Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Everyone thought it was going to fail but Walt wanted to make it. People loved the movie. As time went on, he made more full length cartoons and live action movies.

Now Walt Disney wanted to do something different, he wanted to build a theme park. Again everyone said it was going to fail, But he still wanted to do it. It opened a year and a day after they started to built it. Ten years later he started to feel his age. The doctor said he had lung cancer and he died a month later. In 1966, Walt Disney died in a hospital just 11 year after Disneyland opened. Before he died, he started making plans to build Walt Disney World. To this day, the company is making new and better things, just as Walt would have wanted it.

Walt Disney to me is a hero. He is a hero to me because he never gave up. He tried hard at whatever he did. Walt wanted to be different from what everyone else was doing during his time. He did not care what people were saying about him when he was making Snow White. People thought he was nuts to make a full length cartoon. He did things that people never thought of. He took the risk of building a theme park, and he was one of the first to use color in his cartoons, not caring how much it cost. When Oswald was stolen from him, instead of giving up, he made a new character and he wanted to try again. Another reason he is my hero is that being a celebrity never got to him. He would never go to Hollywood parties whenever he could. On weekends,his time was family time. He also never lost touch of his roots, or of how hard it was for him to make it.

People should act like Walt Disney. If people took risks then the world might be a better place because people tried what they really wanted to do in life. People do not try to do things because they are afraid they are going to fail. Walt Disney never acted like that. He tried to do some things no matter what the risk was.

As you can see, Walt Disney accomplished so much in his life. He had many failures but he also had many successes too. He always had faith in what he did, no matter what people said. He is a great inspiration to all people. His company is still running today. Without Walt Disney, movies would most likely not be what they are today. Companies most likely would have not have made theme parks because they would have been afraid they would fail. Walt Disney opened the doors for people to follow their dreams.