Frederick Douglass

by Jennifer

Did you ever hear about a man named Frederick Douglass? Well, the book “He Fought for Freedom” Frederick Douglass by Virginia Schomp tells a lot about Frederick Douglass and some things he did that showed how he fought for freedom. He escaped from his master and became an abolitionist, which is a person who is against slavery. After a few years, Frederick made speeches about the right for Women and African Americans to be able to vote. Later it became the fifteenth Amendment. Another one of his speeches that he pushed to make laws for, was to make African Americans American citizens. Later in his life he helped the slaves escape.

Frederick’s birth name was Frederick Augustus Washington Bailey. Later, he changed his last name to Douglass when he got to New York to make it harder for his master to find him. Frederick grew up on a plantation in Maryland. He used to live with his mom Harriet Bailey who he only seen four or five times and his grandmother, Betsy. When he was a little older he fell in love with a lady named Anna Murray. So, soon he married her and they had three boys and a girl. In 1844 Frederick married again to a women named Helen Pitts who became his second wife. Frederick had many relatives!

Frederick Douglass didn't always have everything the way he wanted it at times and some things were not fair. One of his obstacles was that he had to be an African American himself. Also, he worked in the shipyard and all the money was taken from his master. The main obstacle was that he was born into slavery. Soon he escaped and went to New York and became an abolitionist on September third of 1838. Frederick also made speeches. Frederick had many challenging obstacles in his life.

Some of Frederick’s characteristics were helpful, caring and brave. He was helpful when he helped the slaves escape through the Underground Railroad. Frederick was caring when he showed the slaves how to escape. For the first time, he first made a speech about abolishing slavery he was brave. Frederick had many good characteristics about him.

Frederick made some contributions to society. He helped the slaves escape to the north. Frederick also made speeches. Besides that, he wrote a newspaper called “ The National Era” which had articles to end slavery. Later in his life he worked in the Underground Railroad. He made many contributions.