Click here to listen to the Dr. Seuss story

"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." - Dr. Seuss

Sean from Mokena, Illinois, wrote in the My Hero guestbook,

Dr.Suess is my hero. He wrote many children's books. You may think that the stories that he writes are just nonsense, and they mostly are, but these stories have so many meanings to them. The stories show many of life's true things that you will encounter. They show you how you will have to eventually make a big choice in your life. But, overall, I think that his books are funny, and very meaningful. THANK YOU DR. SEUSS!!!

WRITER HERO:
DR. SEUSS
by Tina

To many young children Dr. Suess is just another name behind the stories that they read, but even children as old as 90 still recognize the man's name. The children love the poetry and the silly pictures and seem not to realize that they are learning many lessons in life.

It takes a lot to keep a younger child entertained, and I have not seen a kid with a Dr. Suess book who is not entertained and learning. We are told that "the children are the future of tomorrow". Well, if these children are not well educated then there will be no tomorrow. The books that Dr. Suess has written help do just this.

Out of all of Dr. Suess' books I must say that "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" would be my favorite. It is a good lesson on sharing and on the real meaning of Christmas. I also like "The Cat in the Hat". I am a teenager and still enjoy the wonderful works of Dr. Suess. Any man that can capture the hearts of kids young and old is a hero in my book.

Written by Tina from Elkins

Dr. Seuss's Seussville Dr. Seuss's official playground in cyberspace.

Poetryfoundation.org is an independent literary organization committed to a vigorous presence for poetry in American culture. It exists to discover and celebrate the best poetry and to place it before the largest possible audience.

"Ten years ago, Dr. Seuss took 220 words, rhymed them, and turned out The Cat In The Hat, a little volume of absurdity that worked like a karate chop on the weary little world of Dick, Jane, and Spot."
Ellen Goodman
November, 1966
The Detroit Free Press

Dr. Seuss & Mr. Geisel: A Biography
by Judith and Neil Morgan

Dr. Seuss (Real-Life Reader Biography)
by Ann Graham Gaines

Dr. Seuss (Rookie Biographies)
by Dana Meachen Rau

Fox in Socks
by Dr. Seuss

Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You : Dr. Seuss''s Book of Wonderful Noises
by Dr Seuss

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish
by Dr. Seuss

The Boy on Fairfield Street
by Kathleen Krull

The Cat in the Hat
by Dr. Seuss

The Foot Book: Dr. Seuss''s Wacky Book of Opposites
by Dr Seuss

The Sneetches and Other Stories
by Dr Seuss

Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories
by Dr. Seuss

More Featured Writer Heroes