Emily Murphy and The Famous Five

by Sabrina from Calgary

"What does the word PERSONS mean to YOU?"
Emily_Murphy_Web (Inspiration)
Emily_Murphy_Web (Inspiration)

The Early Life.

Emily Murphy, born March 14th, 1868 in the small town of Cookstown, now called Innisfil, Ontario. Cookstown is south of Barrie and just North of Toronto. Emily was one of six kids and had a hard childhood. She grew up with no mother, only her dad, two uncles and her brothers. She also had to learn to share everything with her siblings. Everything up to chores! But of course, she had the regular childhood too!

The Famous Five.

In 1929, The Famous Five, Emily Murphy, Henrietta Muir Edwards, Louise McKinney with Irene Parlby, and Nellie McClung fought for women's rights. They dedicated their lives to improving each community they visited. They were great leaders. These amazing five young women went through a life changing journey. They inspire me so much.

The Famous Five (I Drew it)
The Famous Five (I Drew it)

The Persons Case.

What does the word PERSONS mean to you? To us now, it means both men and women. Everyone is a person. But before the famous five came along, the word persons to most people, meant men only. Women were the outsiders. But as you know, Emily Murphy, Henrietta Muir Edwards, Louise McKinney with Irene Parlby, and Nellie McClung all fought for that. For women’s rights. That’s the reason why they all call it the persons case. The Famous Five inspire me and other people around the world to do great things.

Emily Murphy's Grave (I Drew it)
Emily Murphy's Grave (I Drew it)

The End.

The Famous Five have now left us. They are peacefully resting. But what counts is that they died proud. Proud of legally fighting for all the women out there. Proud to have made a difference. Because they weren’t scared to make a difference. But now it is the end. And we have moved on. So the next and the next and forever on to make a difference, will also die proud. Even if they don’t have a penny to their name. But that’s what counts. Thank you for reading this MY HERO page on Emily Murphy and The Famous Five.