ESTHER WOJCICKI NAMED
MY HERO'S 2016 EDUCATOR OF THE YEAR

Esther "Woj" Wojcicki addresses the audience at The MY HERO International Film Fest

CONTACT: Wendy Milette FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Director of Media
media@myheroproject.org
949-376-5964

PALO ALTO HIGH SCHOOL TEACHER ESTHER WOJCICKI NAMED MY HERO'S GLOBAL EDUCATOR OF 2016

SANTA MONICA, CA - 1/05/17 - The MY HERO Project is proud to celebrate Esther Wojcicki as the winner of the 2016 Global Educator of the Year Award. Wojcicki is a pioneer in education who has spent 30 years building an outstanding high school journalism program at Palo Alto High School in California.

Wojcicki's innovative program is the winner of two Webby Awards and has earned numerous awards for student-run publications, including the Hall of Fame Award and the PaceMaker Award from National Scholastic Press, Gold and Silver Crowns from Columbia Scholastic Press Association, and Time Magazine’s Best in Nation Award in 2003. 

As a teacher, Wojcicki creates a homelike environment for her students, who frequently choose to spend their own time, evenings and weekends at work on their craft. She credits the success of her programs to allowing the students to be in charge of their own learning. 

Esther Wojcicki

As an author, her book, “Moonshots in Education: Blended Learning in the Classroom,” provides an important platform for a global education movement devoted to radically improving teaching and learning around the world. Wojcicki hopes her book will serve as a platform for a “Moonshot Movement,” named for the adventurous spirit and community effort involved in President John F. Kennedy’s moon launch efforts of the 60s.

Wojcicki, or “Woj” to her students, has also written for several publications and writes a recurring blog for the Huffington Post. In addition, she serves as Chairman of the Board of Learning Matters and is on the THNK School of Creative Leadership’s Advisory Board. She serves as Vice Chair of the Board of Directors of Creative Commons. 

The MY HERO Global Educator of the Year Award is given to a teacher working to raise the standards of education on a national and global level. Last year's recipient was Erin Gruwell, creator of the Freedom Writers Foundation, an educational outreach program that encourages students suffering from childhood trauma to triumph over their pasts by writing about their lives.

Wojcicki accepted the award at the MY HERO International Film Festival, November 19, 2016, at the Herb Alpert Educational Village in Santa Monica. The festival is currently accepting submissions for the 2017. Click HERE for more information, or to submit your work. 

Esther Wojcicki and other honorees at The MY HERO International Film Fest

Read more about Wojcicki on MY HERO's website. 

Watch a short film about Wojcicki by The MY HERO Project.

MY HERO Project is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization dedicated to celebrating the best of humanity through the stories of its heroes. Teachers, and others, in 197 countries use MY HERO"s archive and lesson plans in their homes and classrooms. Visit www.myhero.com to learn how you can be part of this global learning project.

Learn more about Esther Wojcicki's Moonshots Program

Teacher Hero: Esther Wojcicki MY HERO story by Wendy Milette and Jeanne Meyers

Moonshots in Education: Launching Blended Learning in the Classroom explores digital and online learning in the classroom and what it takes to make a "moonshot."