George Washington Carver

by John from Sultana

George Washington Carver
George W. Carver is a very important person as you may know. He was born around; January 1864. I chose him as my hero because he helped make things others didn’t (Peanut-butter, shampoo and soap.)

His birth home is now known as Diamond, Missouri. In 1888 he went to Highland College, but in the same year he was kicked out for being African-American. Then in 1890 he was accepted to Simpson College. He had 10 sisters and 1 brother who sadly died prematurely. His mother and a sister were kidnapped when he was only a week old.

An interesting fact from his youth is that he wanted an education so badly that he moved anywhere he could get one. What inspired him to do what he did was his faith in God and his love for humanity.

He had many, many obstacles in his life. Some of these obstacles are; racism, slavery, his family being taken from him, and not being able to go to school.

He overcame these obstacles in many different ways. Some of these ways are; he had nonracist foster parents, who freed him from slavery, but when it came to going to school he did something hard; he left his adopted parents and went to a new family that could take him to school.

I consider him a hero because he helped make things others in that time couldn’t. Here are some examples of his actions, when he couldn’t go to school he moved with a family that could take him. Another action of his was, when the cotton crop was scarce he got farmers to use alternative crops such as peanuts and sweet potatoes.

He had a lot of achievements such as improving racial relations, mentoring children. Poetry, painting, and religion were also some of his achievements. Some of his character traits are persuasion, perseverance, and many, many others. To support these traits read on. (Persuasion) he got people to use alternative crops, (perseverance) he never gave up when he couldn’t go to school. My hero influenced me by doing many things. He inspires to never give up on my dream to be a vet. Without him there would have not been peanuts. This inspires me to help people get new things that they might like. This is the reason why I chose Dr. George Washington Carver.