Gerry Bertier

by Matt from Fort Wayne

Gerry Bertier (gerrybertier.com)
Gerry Bertier (gerrybertier.com)

You are a star high school football player. Your life is destined for the Olympics and guaranteed to be rich and famous. Then one night, you're driving home and your car has a mechanical problem, causing you to crash. This crash causes severe injuries and now you are paralyzed from the chest down. Your career, dreams, and chance of being famous just went down the drain.

Well at least that's the way it used to be. In this day and age you can still succeed in the Olympics even if you're disabled. The Paralympics provide a great opportunity for physically disabled athletes to compete.

There are disabled people all over the world that love to play sports. The handicapped don't have some of the same opportunities as us, so we have to try to give these athletes as many opportunities as possible. One way is to give them the chance to compete in the Olympics to fulfill their desire to compete with others in their sport. This is one way to show physically disabled athletes that society is looking out for everyone. It is just one more chance for them to be more like every other average Joe.

You may know Gerry Bertier from the movie, Remember the Titans; he was the starting middle linebacker who got in a car crash. He was then paralyzed from the chest down. He went on to win several gold medals in the Wheelchair Olympics in discus and shot put. That was his goal by the way according to his sister, who said, "During Gerry's childhood he had mentioned being in the Olympics. His long-term goal was to win a gold medal." He might have seen it coming in a different way, but, thanks to the Paralympic movement, he got the chance to win a medal. He also set state and national records in those events, along with other track and field events and basketball. Gerry was brave in his attempt to compete in the Paralympics. He inspires many athletes who think about giving up.

Gerry Bertier (lawbuzz.com)
Gerry Bertier (lawbuzz.com)

Sadly, Gerry's life ended on March 20, 1981, due to being hit by a drunk driver. Athletes in wheelchairs, along with other able-bodied athletes, will never forget Gerry. This is why he is my hero.

I would love to help with the Special Olympics, which was one of Gerry's favorite charities--maybe one day be a trainer or like a coach for some of these athletes, but I obviously cannot do either of those things now. For now I am just going to be alert about what's going on in these events. I am glad these athletes have the opportunity to compete. I might donate something that could help. I could help start something in the community that recognizes the handicapped in our own community. I am sure a lot of people would care and love to help me with this project. It would be an excellent program for kids that have open minds and the courage to try new things. I would love to provide a place where they can speak their minds. I would love to put a smile on their faces! We just need energy, commitment, and enthusiasm from people like me and you to give some time to help people and better the community.

The Gerry Bertier Foundation for Spinal Cord Research - Helping to make the world more accessible for people with disabilities.
Gerry Bertier - Wikipedia
Official Website of the Paralympic Movement - is committed to enabling Paralympic athletes to achieve sporting excellence and to developing sport opportunities for all persons with a disability from the beginner to elite level.
National Wheelchair Basketball Association - provides qualified individuals with physical disabilities the opportunity to play, learn and compete in the sport of wheelchair basketball.