the GazettE

by Maesha from Dhaka

The dictionary defines the term 'hero' as 'a person, typically a man, who is admired for courage or noble qualities'. Our heroes are the individuals we look up to. They are the ones we turn to for guidance. When we are unable to take on everything life has thrown at us, and at times when we feel helpless or lost, we seek their help because we have faith that they will guide us and help us overcome such difficult moments.

Humans are different from one another in their own unique ways. Not everyone thinks alike and so one individual's hero is rarely ever the exact same as another's. My hero(es) are the five members of the Japanese Visual-Kei rock band, 'the GazettE' - simply because in the fifteen years that I have lived, no one else has made such an impact on my way of thinking in the way they have.

The GazettE's members, all of whom go by their individual stage names, are as follows: vocalist Ruki, guitarists Uruha and Aoi, bassist Reita and drummer Kai. Their original line-up included a different drummer, Yune, who left the band in 2003 and was soon replaced by Kai. The GazettE was formed in 2002 and they have been going strong ever since!

Up until I was around 13 years old, I never gave much thought to life. I was always the ideal student, I took part in various extra-curricular activities and pursued many different hobbies but apart from that, I was living in a naive little world of my own. I was simply going with the flow, never questioning things or bothering to think and understand what my own opinions were about life and all the things happening around me. But then in 2011, thanks to the internet, I came across the GazettE and their music. Growing up, music has always been a big part of my life, but it gained a whole new meaning from the time when I discovered the GazettE. And from that time, I started changing into a more rational and considerate person - a person that I have come to like much better than the one I used to be those few years ago.

In the very beginning, the thing that amazed me most was the amount of visual aesthetics they used when performing. They put on make-up, had elaborate hairstyles and wore flamboyant costumes - it was unlike anything I had seen before and I found it intriguing. The reason why the GazettE was part of the Visual Kei movement along with the fact that it was something they all loved, was because, as the vocalist Ruki once said, "Naturally, this is a world (this world of music) which comes into existence only by sounds. But, the other side of the world is expressed in two-fold; vision and hearing. I want you to feel both sides." I found this thought really beautiful and it made me realize that both music and visual arts could convey great emotions.

I remember spending hours listening to their music and reading a myriad of interviews translated into English. It wasn't just their songs but also many of the things they said in interviews that left me in awe. Reading them talk about their own experiences, their views on life and various other topics including social and worldwide problems, got me thinking about what my own opinions or feelings were about similar subjects. For the first time in my life, I was taking the time to properly think about and try to understand life, love, right and wrong. They helped me gain a whole new perspective on life.

Thanks to their words alone, I now have greater faith in myself and my dreams. I am more comfortable with my ideas, thoughts and beliefs and - unlike all those years ago - I now have the courage to speak my mind, and voice my opinions. They helped me overcome my fears and also brought me closer to the people I love and for these reasons, I will forever be grateful to them.

Until I discovered the GazettE, I never believed that people you have never even met can have such a great impact on one's life. The GazettE has taught me to be true to myself. They have inspired me to follow my dreams, to work hard. And no matter how bad things get, to never, ever lose aspiration. They have helped me become a better person and therefore, I would call no one other than these five amazing people my heroes.