SPORTS HERO:
WAYNE GRETZKY
by Devan and Chase from Bradford, Ontario, Canada

Gretzky and Howe
Wayne Gretzky was born on January 26, 1961 in Brantford, Ontario. Wayne Gretzky got maried to Janet Jones in 1984. They have 5 kids! His parents names are Walter and Phyllis. He shot left and his nickname was The Great One. He won six allstar records, 4 Stanley Cups with the Edmonton Oilers and won nine MVP records! Wayne Gretzky retired on April 16, 1999 after 20 seasons of playing hockey.

Edmonton's rookie of the year
Wayne Gretzky's hero was Gordy Howe. Wayne Gretzky picked the #99 because Gordy Howe's # was 9 and #9 was taken so he just added a 9 onto Gordy Howe's number. Wayne's inspiration was that kids were bullying him, making fun of him and pushing him around. The challenge affected his life by making him tougher to play hockey and stand up and don't stand by.

Wayne played hockey and the challenge was to break Bobby Orr's record but he made his own record insted of breaking Bobby Orr's record. The main thing Wayne Gretzky did for others was to provide them with three hours of awsome entertainment. People all around the world would gather around the TV to watch the "Great One" do his thing.

Wayne Gretzky faced a lot of challenges. Wayne Gretzky started playing hockey in 1979 and retired in 1999 after playing hockey for 20 years.

Wayne Gretzky's 1071th goal
Wayne Gretzky inspires us because he is a great hockey player and always shows good sportsmanship. We like hockey and we want to be great hockey players like Wayne.

Written by Devan and Chase from Bradford, Ontario, Canada
This story has been submitted by a guest user and does not necessarily represent the views of The My Hero Project or its staff.

Photos courtesy of www.waynegretzky.com

Wayne Gretzky's Web Site Information and pictures about Wayne

Answers.com Information about Wayne

Wikipedia More information about Wayne

More Featured Sports Heroes