Tarja Kaarina Halonen

by Kathleen from Cedar Grove

Andrew Bernstein once stated,”…the hero is the man who lets no obstacle prevent him from pursuing the values he has chosen.” A hero is someone, who no matter what challenges get in the way, never gives up and follows his/her dreams. Heroes are also role models and are very inspirational to many people. A hero doesn’t have to be famous. Some great heroes aren’t known outside of one community. They are extraordinary and make a difference in the lives of people they don’t even know. Tarja Kaarina Halonen from Finland is considered a hero because she is the first female President of Finland.

Tarja Kaarina Halonen was born in 1943 in Kallio, Helsinki, Finland. She received a Masters of Law from the University of Helsinki in 1968. She was the Social Affairs Secretary and General Secretary of the National Unit of Students and then a lawyer with the Central Organization of Finnish Trade Units. She was appointed by Prime Minister Kalevi Sorsa as Parliamentary Secretary. In 2000 she ran for President of Finland.

Tarja’s first term of Presidency was 2000-2006. As President, she cares much about public service issues, such as human rights. Besides human rights, she also has an interest in democracy. She plays an active role in the Council of Europe, first as deputy chair of the Finnish delegation. These are some of Tarja’s many accomplishments as President.

Persistence, self-confidence, fairness, selflessness, and being a dreamer are all characteristics of being a hero that Tarja Kaarina Halonen possesses. She has persistence because she kept going in the election even though she ran against a man. Also, she has self-confidence because even if she thought another candidate was going to win, she kept fighting to be the first woman President. She is fair because she fights for human rights. She is selfless because she wants to become President to do more to improve Finland. “You have made a great favor for us (Finland), because I think at least now quite many more Americans know where Finland is,” she says. The world got to know Finland because of her. Tarja Kaarina Halonen has many heroic qualities.

In conclusion, there can be many different kinds of heroes. They have heroic qualities. The first woman president of Finland is Tarja Kaarina Halonen. Serving two terms of Presidency, many Finnish people look up to her. She has done much to improve Finland. Heroes are what keep the world together, helping people everyday. Without heroes, the world would be nothing.

Tarja Kaarina Halonen - World Leader
Tarja Kaarina Halonen - Wikipedia biography