ARTIST HERO:
PALOMA HERRERA
by Jennifer from Ventura

American Ballet Theatre principal dancer, Paloma Herrera. Photo courtesy of ABT, Photographer: Alicia Sanguinetti

On December 21, 1975, the world was graced with one of the most spectacular pair of feet to ever dance. These feet belong to Paloma Herrera, the best ballerina I have ever seen.

Paloma has danced all over the world. Born in Argentina, she has danced in South America, Russia, London and New York. While in New York, she entered the American Ballet Theatre (ABT). Now, ten years later, at age 26, she is one of the American Ballet Theatre's principal dancers.

Paloma Herrera as Kitri in Don Quixote. Photo courtesy of American Ballet Theatre , Photo by MIRA

In the Company she has danced as Mathilda Kchessinska in Anastasia, Polyhymnia in Apollo, Gamzatti and Nikiya in La Bayadère, the title role in Cinderella, Swanilda in Coppélia, Medora and Gulnare in Le Corsaire, the pas de deux Diana and Acteon, Kitri in Don Quixote, the first girl in Fancy Free, Valencienne in The Merry Widow, the Sugar Plum Fairy in Kevin McKenzie's new staging of The Nutcracker, Act II, Cerrito in Pas des Déesses, the Siren in Prodigal Son, Juliet in Romeo and Juliet, Princess Aurora in The Sleeping Beauty, Coupava in The Snow Maiden, Odette-Odile in Swan Lake, the Waltz in Les Sylphides, the Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux, and leading roles in Americans We, Ballet Imperial, Études, Paquita, Sinfonietta, Stepping Stones, Symphonie Concertante and Theme and Variatons.

What inspires me about Paloma is her genes. She's not the typical ballerina. She doesn't have the often stringy anorexic-looking body type. She's very muscular and filled in. It's apparent that it doesn't take away from her dancing, because she has an amazing vibe that won't let you stop looking at her.

Written by Jennifer from Ventura
Photos courtesy of American Ballet Theatre
Images created by Alicia Sanguinetti & MIRA
Last changed on: 9/16/2004 1:00:16 AM

American Ballet Theatre

Paloma Herrera .com

More Featured Artist Heroes