John Lennon

by Alyssa from San Diego

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us and the world will be as one." (Lennon). Peace begins with imagination. John Lennon, born on October 9, 1940, in Liverpool, England rose to stardom as a founder of the popular band, The Beatles. After break up of The Beatles, he then used his stardom to send the message of peace through his songs with some help of his wife Yoko Ono. Lennon then died on December 8, 1980 from a shot to the head by a crazed fan who did not agree with the message Lennon was trying to send. Heroes come in different types, they posses qualities that people find extraordinary. Many find heroes as a person they can rely on or look up to in a sense. Lennon deserves to be classified as a hero because not only was he a music icon who spread the word of peace, he was determined to make peace, and he serves as an inspiration to me and many others.

Despite his well known image as a Beatle, Lennon stepped out of his comfort zone and became a peace activist while spreading the word of love and peace throughout his new found music. Many celebrities don't use their music to spread the word of what actually matters, but Lennon decided he can use his music to send a message to the people that could contribute to changing the world. "It didn't take long for Lennon to recognize that he could use his celebrity status to not only communicate his own ideas about the world but change the way people thought about issues of the day." (Whitehead). John's powerful status helped him realize he could do great things. All Lennon wanted to do was spread the word of peace without violence, and that's just what he did. He used his music to communicate to people. His message came across, and people listened. His passionate perspective towards his love for music and peace made his music inspire other peace supporters. "He is only one of the many that have showed his want for peace through his musical talent. It is easy enough to say that all he wanted was to promote love to the rest of the world. Lennon fought to end the war during his time. All he ever really wanted was for people to stop violence, stop war, and to just spread the love." (Brown). John Lennon was a different kind of celebrity. Unlike most celebrities nowadays, he focused more on spreading the word of peace and love throughout his music. Instead of being greedy, Lennon used his fame and talent to influence others to harmonize peace for the world. Lennon was an influential person who used his music to make people more aware of peace and love.

During the time of the Vietnam War, Lennon imagined people living in peace and sharing all the world. Lennon's anti-war, anti-violence mind set contributed to his determination for peace. Although the world was going through a war, Lennon had a positive attitude and was determined put the hate, violence, and crime to an end without disturbance. "Starting with their famous "Bed-Ins for Peace," Lennon and Ono turned the tables on the paparazzi that dogged their every move in order to stage their own unique anti-war "happening." It was an inspired tactic on the duo's part, and one that has never been successfully repeated by any other celebrity of note since then. Using their honeymoon at the Amsterdam Hilton in March 1969 as a launch pad for their anti-war efforts, the Lennons invited the worldwide media to join them in their hotel suite, where they sat in bed for two weeks straight, from nine in the morning to nine at night, engaging in discussions about world peace." (Whitehead). Lennon was determined to spread his love for peace without the use of violence, and with that he was successful. Instead of protesting on the streets like most people, Lennon thought of something. Lennon and Ono decided to use their honeymoon as a tactic. They knew the media would go crazy to get the latest new on the newlyweds, and they saw and used the opportunity. They did what was known as their popular bed-in's; which was them staying in their hotel bed and talking about peace. Lennon believed in spreading the word of peace without the use of violence, and that's just what he did. Lennon protested without harsh words or violence, he simply spread peace with peace. Lennon's determination for the anti-violence/war movement continued and made people more aware. "In 1972, with the presidential election campaign in full swing, Lennon's new friends urged him to join the protests scheduled to take place at that year's Republican Convention in San Diego. Suspecting that they were trying to provoke a riot similar to the one at the Democratic Convention in Chicago in 1968, he declined to attend." (Gale). Lennon stayed true to his word of spreading peace without the violence. Lennon was invited to protest in San Diego. But Lennon thought ahead and knew they were trying to start a riot like they did a couple years back. Lennon ended up not going because he didn't want to contradict what he felt so strongly about. John Lennon was greater than many musicians during his time. He stood up for something he felt so strongly about. He had a powerful vision that became a dream he later accomplished. Lennon thought so strongly of love and peace. He believed the world would be a better place if everyone treated each other as an equal. His determination for peace truly shows how he can be classified as a hero.

John Lennon truly is a hero because he used his iconic music status to spread what he believed in, he was driven on spreading and making peace, and he is an inspiration to others and myself. "In December 1971, Lennon appeared at a benefit concert in Ann Arbor, Michigan, for peace activist John Sinclair, who had been arrested in 1969 for selling two joints to an undercover policewoman and was sentenced to ten years in prison (hence the lyric "They gave him ten for two" in Lennon's song "John Sinclair"). The day before the concert, the Michigan Supreme Court denied Sinclair's appeal. By this point, Sinclair had been in prison for two and a half years. The rally, which was broadcast live, drew 15,000 attendees, who gathered to hear Lennon perform. The next day, the Michigan Supreme Court reversed its decision, and Sinclair was set free." (Gale). A fellow activist, John Sinclair got arrested for selling two joints to an undercover cop which led to his arrest. Lennon then decided to throw a concert for his friend. The court had declined Sinclair's appeal the day before the concert. The live concert drew 15,000 attendees just to hear Lennon perform. The day after Lennon's performance, Sinclair was sent free. This act proved how Lennon had the gift of impact by inspiring others and with that gift he used it in his advantage. "I never met John Lennon, but time and again over the last four decades he has had an impact on my life. Through his music and his life, he has served as a true inspiration and has helped me make a better person." (Ono, 99). Not only did Lennon inspire me, but he inspired many others. His music speaks to us. His dedication for peace truly inspires so many people around the world. During times like this, with the violence, wars, greed, and hate it would be great to have the late John Lennon back. He's impacted many people with the way of his music, his thought, and his actions.

Sources

"John Lennon's Activism." Altrapoint.com. N.p., 29 Nov. 2011. Web. 09 May 2013.

"John Lennon." Contemporary Heroes and Heroines. Vol. 3. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Biography In 

Context. Web. 9 May 2013.

"John Lennon." 2013. The Biography Channel website. May 09 2013, 11:17 

http://www.biography.com/people/john-lennon-9379045

Ono, Yoko. Memories of John Lennon. New York: HarperEntertainments, 2005. Print

Whitehead, John W. "Commentary." The Rutherford Institute. N.p., 8 Oct. 2012. Web. 02 May 

2013.