Jackie Robinson

by Konrad from San Diego

The Unsung Hero

"Hero" oftentimes brings the dramatic image of someone sailing through the air, sword in hand, vigorously fighting off a hoard of villains across the universe. This picture frequently overshadows the true heroes, living among ordinary people, who have paved the roads of today's world. One such person who has not received due credit is Jackie Robinson. When people think of Jackie they think of "The man who stole home," when in reality he did more than just steal home; he opened the gate for many African Americans' dream of joining the major leagues. Born into a society characterized by racial segregation and inequality, he persevered through the discriminatory and lawless times of the early 1900s. The dictionary defines a hero as a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities. Jackie Robinson is not only a hero for his athletic accomplishments, but also for his courage and the dedication and effort he put into everything he did.

Jackie signing his military contract.
Jackie signing his military contract.

Jackie Robinson denied the racism he constantly faced and gave hope to many African Americans while protecting the country he loved. "Robinson's arrival on the major league scene in 1947 prompted a slew of racially motivated actions. The St. Louis Cardinals threatened to go on strike." (Tandy). Not only did baseball teams want him out, but people did as well. Jackie's life was continually threatened and it was often too dangerous for him to even step outside his house. Jackie remained a kind man through all the prejudice and discrimination that he faced from the world and did all he could to help those around him. One of the major ways that he aided not only the people around him, but also all of America's citizens was by joining the military. The onset of World War 2 inspired Jackie to join the army and fight for what he believed in. Even though the military was a difficult and challenging place for African Americans at the time, he knew what was right and joined regardless of what other people said. This bold and righteous act brings to light Jackie's will to go above and beyond what was expected of him, a quality defining a hero.

Jackie on is first baseball team.
Jackie on is first baseball team.

Jackie Robinson revolutionized the sports world by becoming the first African American to play major league baseball in the modern era. "Jackie Robinson was the first African American baseball player to play in the major leagues" (Benson). Because of this feat Jackie opened the door for other African American players such as Hank Aaron, a.k.a. "The Home Run King." He spurred some of the greatest debates of all time. Throughout it all, Jackie stood firm and never gave in to what other people said about him.

Besides revolutionizing the baseball world, he also made a huge impact on the football world as well. "The young athlete joined the Honolulu Bears professional football team" (Benson). This had a similar effect to the time when he joined baseball. His actions gave African Americans a better chance to play because football was not as popular as baseball. The baseball world did not care that African Americans were allowed in the football leagues.

Jackie Robinson was an inspiration not only during his time era, but he is still today considered one of the leaders for African American equality. "He never took for granted his role as a trailblazer in the integration of sports and the opening of opportunities for blacks in the United States" (Tandy). Jackie Robinson inspired more than just athletes to strive for their goals, but also ordinary people, black and white. People look up to him and see a perfect role model of fairness for all. He knew what was right and did what he thought was best in the given circumstances, disregarding the media's words. In turn, he became one of the most famous baseball players of all time. "Jackie Robinson always went his own way, answering to his own instincts and refusing to be swayed by those who objected to his choices" (Derks). Robinson controlled the anger that he felt on the inside and taught many people the right way to fight racism; not with a clenched fist, but with a swing of the bat. Jackie Robinson is a hero and always will be remembered for his courage in standing up for what he believed in.

The Jackie Robinson Foundation - is a national, not–for–profit, organization founded in 1973 as a vehicle to perpetuate the memory of Jackie Robinson through the advancement of higher education among underserved populations.
The Official Website of Jackie Robinson
The Library of Congress American Memory - Baseball and Jackie Robinson
The National Archives - Teaching With Documents: Beyond the Playing Field - Jackie Robinson Civil Rights Advocate
For Teachers - Lesson Plan Activities - Crossing the Line: Jackie Robinson