Laura Secord

by Ashley from Alberta

<a href=http://www.robic.com/AnimationsEn/images/LauraSecord/LogoLauraSecord1992.jpg>Laura Secord</a>
Laura Secord

Laura Secord was an amazing Canadian hero. She saved part of Canada by walking thirty-two kilometres.You are probably wondering how she saved Canada by walking thirty-two kilometres. As you continue to read you will find out why Laura Secord was an amazing Canadian Hero.

In early years a lot took place. She was born on September 13, 1775 in Great Barrington Massachusetts, the same year the American War of Independence began. Laura was eight years old. In 1783, her mother Elizabeth Ingersoll died of sickness, which left Laura caring for her three younger sisters. Laura was never able to go to school, instead she had to help around the house and take care of her sisters. A year after Elizabeth’s death, Thomas Ingersoll remarried but after four years she also died of sickness. A year later he married a woman named Sarah. Together they had seven children, four boys and three girls. As you have read, Thomas had many marriages. In those days he needed a wife so she could do house work and take care of the children. As you have read, a lot went on in Laura’s early years.

Laura Secord is a true hero. I think it is amazing, how she saved part of Canada. It is really great to know that someone took so many risks to save a part of our beautiful country. She took many risks but if she hadn’t that land might not be part of Canada. Laura Secord is a true hero.

You are about to read about Laura’s after years. It all started when she was ordered to give a few soldiers some supper. While they were eating she heard about their surprise attack on a small British military post. After hearing this she left her house at once, and walked thirty-two kilometeres through deep swamps and dark woods to the chief "Fitzgibbon". Thanks to her, by the time they arrived, Fitzgibbon and his English troops were able to defend the land. That is Laura's after years.

Monument (www.boldts.net)
Monument (www.boldts.net)

As you first read, Laura Secord was an amazing Canadian Hero. She had a lot of hard times. When her mother died it left her caring and being responsible for her sisters. Walking thirty-two kilometers was a stressful situation. Do you remember what I said earlier, that we could have been American? In Niagara Falls there is a monument of her in memory. As I said and I'll say it again, Laura Secord was an amazing Canadian Hero!