Poets

Lina Kostenko

by Yaroslava from Kiev

Lina Kostenko ( ())
Lina Kostenko ( ())

In my opinion, in the modern Ukraine almost nobody can be called a real hero of our time. To my mind, Lina Kostenko is worthy of the biggest respect and the title of legendary public figure.

Childhood ( ())
Childhood ( ())

Lina Vasilivna Kostenko is a famous Ukrainian poet, she was born on the 19th of March, 1930 in town Rzhishchev, Kiev region, in a family of teachers. In 1936 the family moved to Kiev, where Lina graduated from high school. She studied at the Kiev Pedagogical Institute and Moscow Literature Institute named after M. Gorky, which graduated in 1956.

Works of Lina Kostenko
Works of Lina Kostenko

Lina Kostenko was one of the first young Ukrainian poets who started to write in the late 1950-1960's.Collections of her poems, "The rays of the earth" and "Sails" attracted the readers and critics, and the book "Journey of the heart" put her name among the great masters of Ukrainian poetry. Books of L. Kostenko "Above the banks of the river of eternal", "Marusya Churay", "Uniqueness" were extraordinary phenomena of modern Ukrainian poetry. Lina also wrote a collection of poems, "Neta Sculpture Garden" and a collection of poems for children "Buzinovuy tsar".In 2010 she released her first novel in prose: "Notes of Ukrainian madman."

Awards and titles
Awards and titles

Lina Kostenko is an Emeritus Professor at the National University of "Kyiv-Mohylyanska Academy", Doctor of Chernivtsi National University, winner of the Taras Shevchenko National Prize for her novel "Marusya Churay" etc. Was also awarded by the President of Ukraine and the Order of Prince Yaroslav the Wise V degree, but publicly renounced the title of Hero of Ukraine. Kostenko works have been translated into many languages: English, Belarusian, Estonian, Italian, Lithuanian, German, Russian, Slovak and Spanish.

That's why I really respect and proud of this amazing person. Her poems have influenced on my own life and thanks to them I wrote my first poem. Lina Kostenko is an ideal for me which I would like to follow.