Laura Secord

by Samantha from Calgary

Made it on Insperation (I did)
Made it on Insperation (I did)

Laura Secord is the hero I chose. I chose Laura Secord because she has an amazing story to go with her name. She was so amazing she was able to walk twelve miles to try and save the invasion of Canada! She is a brave soul with an amazing heart and that is a good reason for people to know her as a hero. People respect her because if she didn't do what she did Canada would not be what it is today. She is considered a hero to me because lots of people would hear that and do nothing to help but Laura on the other hand is not like that. Laura is a risk taker; she did what she believed in! That is why she is a Canadian hero!

Laura Secord head and shoulders picture (I drew it (I did))

Laura Secord was born September 13 1775 and she passed away at 93 years old, on October 17 1868. Laura's parents were Thomas Ingersoll and Elizabeth Dewey. Laura's father fought on the side of the American revolutionaries during the war. They moved to the Niagara region after the war. Shortly after that she got married to the man of her dreams James Secord! Once she got married she changed her last name from Ingersoll to Secord. In 1799 Laura and James had their first child named Mary Then in 1801 they had baby Charlotte next came Harriet in 1803, after that little Charles Badeau in the year 1809 and their third last child Appolonia came in 1810 then the next two (and last two) Laura Ann and Hannah, Laura in 1815 and Hannah in 1817!

Laura Secord action picture (I drew it (I did))

In the war of 1812 Laura's husband was seriously wounded. In 1813 while he was still recovering from his injuries the American's planned to invade the Niagara peninsula. Laura overheard the information for the invasion and ran away the morning of June 23 to go give the information on the invasion to Lieutenant James FitzGibbon at DeCew House in the British-Controlled territory. The information Laura gave them helped the British and their Mohawk warrior allies win the battle of Beaver Dams, keeping the invading Americans in the bay! Sadly Laura's help to stop them was forgotten until 1860 when King Albert Edward (Prince of Wales) awarded Laura 100 pounds for her service!

Those are the reasons why I chose Laura Secord to be my hero. I have come to realize that Laura is a really reliable person. I think since she is so trusting I think Laura is an amazing hero! I also think Albert did the best thing possible giving Laura the reward or else people wouldn't know or respect her noble actions. She is an amazing person to look up to and she is a person to want to be around. I think since she did something so amazing if she could come and talk to younger people, that would make a difference to their lives and maybe that would inspire them. Those are some reasons why I chose Laura Secord.

History - Gives a great amount of info on Laura even a video
War of 1812 - Lets you search others as well as facts about her
Laura Secord Website - Info so that you can understand what she did
Niagara Parks - Cool stuff that tells you about her life
War of 1812 - A biography about Laura