Press_Release

MY HERO celebrates 20 years with Multimedia Festival

Contact: Wendy Milette                           FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
949-376-5964

THE MY HERO PROJECT’S  20TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION & MULTI MEDIA FESTIVAL

SANTA MONICA, CA. - 9/10/15 - The MY HERO Project is throwing a party… a multimedia festival to celebrate 20 years of celebrating heroes through stories, art, music and film.  The event, which features short film screenings, live musical performances and award presentations takes place November 21, 2015 at The Ann and Jerry Moss Theater in Santa Monica. 

HERB ALPERT EDUCATIONAL VILLAGE
Ann and Jerry Moss Theater, New Roads School
3131 Olympic Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90404
MY HERO sprang forth in August of 1995, when three moms decided to create a not for profit web project to shine a light on everyday heroes working to create positive change in the world.  Jeanne Meyers, Rita Stern Milch and Karen Pritzker founded MY HERO with a mission of using media, art and technology to promote global understanding, life-long learning, human rights, environmental education and more.  Today MY HERO is an award-winning online resource used by millions of teachers, parents and students in more than 194 countries. 

MY HERO provides a safe, curated, family friendly Internet oasis that teachers have trusted for 20 years.  Thousands of people of all ages have shared their inspiring stories, art, films and music with our growing global learning community. 

The 20th Anniversay Multimedia Festival on November 21st will feature:
  • Author and educator Erin Gruwell, founder of The Freedom Writers Foundation and winner of MY HERO’s 2015 Global Educator Award. 
  • Peace Activist Ron Kovic, author of Born on the Fourth of July, who will present a prize to the short film that addresses the issue of peace and conflict resolution in an engaging and thought-provoking manner. (myhero.com/kovic)
  • Author and activist Kathy Eldon, who will present the Dan Eldon Award, if honor and memory of her journalist son, to the filmmaker who best uses creativity to effect change. (myhero.com/eldon)
  • Reggae musician Pato Banton, who will be performing live. 
  • Artist Robert Shetterly, known for his portrait series, "Americans Who Tell the Truth," who will present the Shetterly Prize to the artist who most eloquently represents a hero or an act of heroism in art.
Saturday, November 21st - The MY HERO Project's 20th Anniversary Celebration and Awards Ceremony.
Join us for a special evening of short films, speakers, music and art.  

VIP Tickets are available to support MY HERO's work providing positive media 
mentoring to students and teachers around the world. 
A special reception will be provided for VIP guests from 5:30-7:00
in the Capshaw Spielberg Center for Arts and Educational Justice

The 20th Anniversary Celebration Program and award ceremony will take place from 7:00 pm - 9:30 pm
in the Ann and Jerry Moss Theater.

General admission tickets are available for the Multi-Media Celebration.
Passes are available for students, teachers and filmmakers upon request.

PLEASE RSVP to reserve your seat.

This is going to be an inspiring night we hope you will join us for the celebration.

For more info contact: [email protected] 

The festival is part of The MY HERO Project, a 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to sharing stories of heroes around the globe. MY HERO's award winning web site (www.myhero.com) hosts the world's largest archive of hero-themed stories, music, art and short films. 

For tickets and information, please visit: Myhero.com/20th

For press and sponsorship opportunities, please contact: [email protected]
949.376.5964